Woodworking gadgets that waste your money
(10-12-2019, 11:06 AM)MsNomer Wrote: I love my Porter Cable dovetail jig.  I set it up once and it’s ready for any time I need it, like making 18 drawers for my van.

Plus 1. Have a dedicated router setup for it.

(10-12-2019, 01:06 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Those imported cheapo aluminum clamps

10-4...........

Took my 6 clamps to a consignment flea market along with some other stuff to get rid of.
Had a guy walk up and offered 10 bucks for all 6 as I was taking stuff out of the pickup.
Sold.........
Laugh
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I've never found a tool that is worthless.
After all, I've never had to buy a door stop, anchor or paper weight- and guess what's holding the tin down from blowing away in the wind.
(10-12-2019, 11:06 AM)MsNomer Wrote: I love my Porter Cable dovetail jig.  I set it up once and it’s ready for any time I need it, like making 18 drawers for my van.

Glad to see you back!
(10-12-2019, 04:07 PM)Woodworm! Wrote: Glad to see you back!

Thanks.  I check in from time to time, but we’ve been on the road in the van since June 17.  Primarily Alaska.  Home next week for a few housekeeping matters, then hopefully on the road again.

We successfully hiked the Chilkoot Trail from Skagway to Bennett, BC.  My most challenging hike ever.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but I think you guys are misjudging those light, cheap HF bar clamps, especially for the price. There’s an easy fix using scrap strips of wood.

Remove the clamp ends from the extruded aluminum bar. Rip a length (clamp length + 2”) of preferably light (fir, hemlock), knot free scrap to snugly fit the inside of the long extrusion. It doesn’t have to be a perfect fit, bit it should be tight enough that you should have to drive it into the extrusion with about a 2# mallet without significantly changing the sectional shape. Trim the ends flush, reinstall the clamp and you have a very functional clamp that’s dirt cheap. Yeah, it’s not quite a Bessy or Jorgy, but it’s 85% of the function at 1/3 the price.

I didn’t invent the caper. I first learned about it from Paul Sellers quite awhile ago. There’s probably a video. Chapeau Mr. Sellers.
(10-12-2019, 08:19 PM)Maple Leaf Wrote: I didn’t invent the caper. I first learned about it from Paul Sellers quite awhile ago. There’s probably a video. Chapeau Mr. Sellers.

I'd seen his video before I sold the clamps, as the problem was not restricted to the weaker body, but some clamp rods fell off. Yes, both deficiencies could be fixed with some work, but the Dubuque clamps were so superior in all aspects that I chose to spend time on real woodworking than fixing them.

Simon
(10-12-2019, 09:21 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: I'd seen his video before I sold the clamps, as the problem was not restricted to the weaker body, but some clamp rods fell off. Yes, both deficiencies could be fixed with some work, but the Dubuque clamps were so superior in all aspects that I chose to spend time on real woodworking than fixing them.

Simon
A big plus one for this. The Dubuque bar clamps are the real deal, and their handscrew clamps are equally nice.
(10-12-2019, 08:57 AM)Smashedfinger Wrote: 2. ridiculously over priced chisels.

I don't know how they would be "almost useless."  They work just as well as any other chisel.  In this case, price doesn't limit utility.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
For me, it was the tenoning jig for my table saw. I used it once. I have a Festool Domino now that is far easier to use and way, way way quicker.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I had several "measuring" gadgets in the mid nineties. Since I couldn't even see the increments it showed, nor the tiny holes for marking with a pencil; I never used it. Incra makes some good stuff; but many things I would define as a "gadget".

A few month ago, I bought a set of narex Japanese style dovetail chisels; Yes they can do dovetails, but are way too long and have a oversize handle, now I find I cannot get rid of them even for half price, maybe I'll regrind them to do something else like clean my ears.

Super expensive sharpening systems also come to mind. I have a tormex, but got it for almost half of new and in new condition (T7), it said on their website if I bought the do dad for my planer blades (16"), that it could sharpen them......Yes, it does sharpen them, but it is a long, infuriating experience to keep redressing the wheel to get it to grind out nicks and so forth. My old makita horizontal wet sharpener does a far better job.

blah blah blah.....
Now where is that chisel