Cutting Boards
(10-17-2019, 02:08 AM)johnds89 Wrote: Wood boards look nice. Which glue is best for joining the boards?

Titebond III
of that lineup, it's waterproof, and has a little longer setup time.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Nice looking boards. Noticed you finished them with oil and beeswax, what about salad bowl finish?
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
(10-17-2019, 02:08 AM)johnds89 Wrote: Wood boards look nice. Which glue is best for joining the boards?

I use titebond lll and have had no problems.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(10-17-2019, 06:00 AM)stoppy Wrote: Nice looking boards. Noticed you finished them with oil and beeswax, what about salad bowl finish?
I did a good bit of research, and mineral oil and beeswax is the A1 choice.
Jim in Okie
(10-17-2019, 07:20 PM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: I did a good bit of research, and mineral oil and beeswax is the A1 choice.

I've had good luck with Howard's Butcher Block Conditioner, which is a mixture of mineral oil and wax.  Apply it, wait 15 min., wipe off and buff and you're done in one application.

I tried several coats of mineral oil but it never gets dry and rubs off on everything.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
I found this at Lowes a couple years ago, when I made several cheese boards for Christmas presents.  It's a little pricey, but a little seems to go a long way.  I let the bottle soak in a dish of hot water for a few minutes and it goes on really easily.

[Image: 61M2PbRC%2BXL._SY550_.jpg]
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

One of the videos I watched, the host shows how to make the coating.  Six ozs of mineral oil in a pan in a double boiler, so the temp never gets too hot. (212?).  Add twelve teaspoons of beeswax pellets, and stir until they turn clear.  Makes just enough to fill small jelly jar, will turn off white when it cools, but not yellow the wood when applied.

One option is to split the wax, six teaspoons of plain beeswax, six teaspoons of carnuba wax.  This results in more of a shine and a tougher finish.  I intend to make up a batch of the beeswax mixture, put it in the 2oz metal tins Miss Tina has been using in her soap and organic balm hobby, and send them with the cutting boards at Christmas.  
Big Grin
Jim in Okie