Cutting Boards
I had seen some cutting boards done on You Tube, and had a lot of leftover scrapes and decided to try it.  I figured all I would waste is time.  Right?

Yes

The first three were walnut and maple, and I learned a lot from the attempts.  I learned that they turn out a lot better IF:

* You don't try and piece together the lengths no matter how square and sharp the center joints are. 
No

* You DO joint and plane all four sides, BEFORE glue up.  Less work to the board after glue up. 
Raised

* Clamps are the key, the right type of clamps.  Parallel Clamps.

* The right amount of glue.  Too much, lots of clean up.  Not enough, gaps. 
Wink  How much is the right amount.  Good Question isn't it?

The first Three weren't a waste, I worked them and worked them and I won't throw them out.  They are nice looking, and I'll do something with them.  Miss Tina has claimed one. (The Walnut and Maple board, forth from the left.)

Six Board Lineup

The Forth board I made was a Chevron cutting board.  I added Mahogany for a touch of flavor and it was double the work, but I was pleased.  NOT perfect, still didn't have the right clamps, but they were on order.  Another practice board, but.. I didn't feel it turned out too bad.

The Bessy Clamps came in and I made up the Work Jig to assemble the cutting boards on from PVC... I had learned to apply the glue with a paint roller cutting the assembly time by 80%.  I was ready to go.  

The PVC JIG

All this had a reason.  A good friend had given me the top to a family coffee table and told me to do whatever I wanted with it, they no longer had room and it had been in storage for over a decade, they were decluttering.  The Table had been commissioned by his dad when they were living in the Caribbean, and was made from an exotic wood only available in that area.  It had been in the family some 70+ years.  The dad turns 100 years old this December.  I have met Dad and like him a lot.  He was a decorated Bomber Pilot in WWII, a humble man, who never speaks about the war much, but has some stories he will share with certain vets.  (I was honored he chose to share a few with me, when he saw MY wings.)  Among his medals are a pair of Purple Hearts.

I was struck with inspiration several months ago, and  began research and planning.  After the practice noted above, I was ready, so I disassembled the table top, ran it across the table saw cutting the wood into 1-1/2" wide strips, then planed them to remove the old finish and wear.  I filled old screw holes using plugs cut from the excess, and then glued the boards into two cutting boards, with a couple accents, of Spaulted Maple and a center stripe of Purple Heart... a nice accent with a special meaning. 
Yes

I took special care with these boards as the wood was irreplaceable.  If I made an error I couldn't just cut more wood.  My friend didn't ask for anything from the wood, I think he expected I would make a couple boxes and give them away, as has been my practice.  I am hoping he will be happy when he and his son, A firefighter paramedic in the area, receive the two cutting boards for Christmas.  A remembrance for years to come of their father/grandfather.  A good man, who earned two Purple Hearts while flying bombers in WWII.

Chevron Cutting Board and the Two Honor Cutting Boards

The three boards with finish applied have been sanded to 220 grit, had the grain raised and resanded, then had the first coat of mineral oil applied when the pics were taken.  They will get a second coat of mineral oil applied, then possibly a third, then be polished with beeswax.  They will have small feet applied to the corners.  Honestly, I don't expect they will be used, but if they do, this finish is "supposed" to be food safe and easily maintained.

Smirk

I will continued to make the cutting boards for the enjoyment, trying new patterns and improving my skills.  I will make chess boards and other items to use up the shop scraps.
It's a good way to fill the time as well.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Nicely done Jim!  I'm certain they will be much appreciated by the recipients.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Nice looking boards! They are my favorite projects to make.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

I will stick to the basics at first, but I have been watching a Russian, and he IS creative. 
Big Grin

Mtmwood.com
(Click on the British Flag at the top for English)
His videos on You Tube are excellent..
Jim in Okie
Good Job Jim!!

The projects done with wood that has a "back story" are always special.

Well done Marine!
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Inlays and clear epoxy at some point. 

My favorite:

BTW, if you get tired of cutting boards, morph into serving trays:

(10-14-2019, 09:47 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: Inlays and clear epoxy at some point. 

My favorite:

BTW, if you get tired of cutting boards, morph into serving trays:

Yup, I have those in my sights.  I will also be making more bandsaw boxes and keepsake boxes with inlaid tops.  Just wanted to get the cutting boards done... I am sending one to each of the four kids for Christmas... with Miss Tina sending the Grandkids Quilts.  Can't keep HER down, she has added quilting to her repertoire.

I have to tip my hat to Miss T, in addition to working on HER quilts, she is taking on teaching the wife of my "rabbi" to quilt... which will not be an easy task. The wife is 82, and is in the first stages of Dementia and has days of full clarity and knows what is happening to her then and is angry, and depressed, lost then angry, then depressed...

We have known them both for more than twenty years. Her other friends have quit coming around. Tina will teach her things and she forgets them, but ... Tina explains them again. (Tina saw her Grandmother go through it and several of her aunts... her mother came from a family of 13 siblings.) She knows that her friend is lost at times and scared, so she is happy to try and guide her ...

She also had a LONG talk with her husband, who was not handling the situation well and didn't understand. He was making the situation worse in some ways, but after a sit down with Miss T, has refocused his energies and realized what his wife is going thru.

I can't tell you how proud I am of Miss Tina.
Jim in Okie
Here's one I made for a friend.I made two more as well.

Mel

Attached Files Image(s)

ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Very nice.
I managed to get out to the shop several times since the last post, so all six boards have had all the little pin holes addressed, all the sanding done, and at least the first coat of mineral oil applied.  I post those pics as soon as I sit down at the desk top and download them.  I am very happy with the results so far. 
Big Grin
Jim in Okie
Wood boards look nice. Which glue is best for joining the boards?