You Don't See a Gift Like This Very Often
As they cut HS shop classes left and right..... at least this community college will be picking up the slack I guess....

https://www.latimes.com/california/story...oodworking
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
That's wonderful!  Whoever the gentleman is, he made my day as well as many kid's days in the future.
That's a cool story!  Thanks for posting it.

Cool
Cool
Cool
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
As I work with a number of woodworking retailers and consult to the wood industry, I can tell you that more and more high schools, and even middle schools are re-instating shop classes. 

The WMIA (Wood Manufacturer’s Industrial Association) is heavily involved in promoting trades education, and there are non-profit groups as well. 

Kreg is a big supporter of school programs as is MicroJig. MicroJig is currently donating a pair of their GR100 GRR-RIPPERs for every table saw in any public high school shop program in the US. No strings attached, the shop teachers simply fill out the form at www.microjig.com/schools They have set up more than 400 schools around the country in the first year. If you know any shop teachers, let them know.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(10-15-2019, 09:13 PM)handi Wrote: As I work with a number of woodworking retailers and consult to the wood industry, I can tell you that more and more high schools, and even middle schools are re-instating shop classes.

Ralph:  that's great news.
"metal cutting tool!"

The reporter seemed to be lazy enough not to do a bit more homework before she published her piece. At least, as a reporter, curiosity should be her strength.

Simon
(10-16-2019, 08:02 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: "metal cutting tool!"

The reporter seemed to be lazy enough not to do a bit more homework before she published her piece. At least, as a reporter, curiosity should be her strength.

Simon

yeah, saw that too; i think bad grammar, should mean a cutting tool made of metal, which i also agree is pretty lame, given the piece is about woodworking.
Cerritos College has a very good woodworking program, with several woodworking shops. Lie-Nielsen does their LA traveling roadshow there a lot. There are a lot of furniture design places and even furniture manufacturing businesses in the LA metroplex, so it's a good deal when they get endowments like this.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I talked with our Middle School teacher last week about schools ending shop classes. He said he thought a lot of it around here was because they couldn't get teachers. Not a lot of colleges offer it anymore.
(10-15-2019, 09:13 PM)handi Wrote: As I work with a number of woodworking retailers and consult to the wood industry, I can tell you that more and more high schools, and even middle schools are re-instating shop classes. 

The WMIA (Wood Manufacturer’s Industrial Association) is heavily involved in promoting trades education, and there are non-profit groups as well. 

Kreg is a big supporter of school programs as is MicroJig. MicroJig is currently donating a pair of their GR100 GRR-RIPPERs for every table saw in any public high school shop program in the US. No strings attached, the shop teachers simply fill out the form at www.microjig.com/schools They have set up more than 400 schools around the country in the first year. If you know any shop teachers, let them know.

Ralph:

I have sent this information to four wood shop teachers in my area who I have contacted previously. There are a few more that I will reach out to as well.

Thanks for telling us about this program.

Bill