Anti-Barking Devices
(10-18-2019, 06:17 AM)WxMan Wrote: Deer strike issues would be rare as everybody would have those little whistle things on their cars.  They would be designed into cars at the factory as a safety device.  Insurance companies would give discounts for their use.
State farm did give them out and they said that they did help
I have one of those whistle things on my truck. Been on there for 17 years. Someone laughed and asked if it worked- I told them I guess so- never hit a deer. It's a two toned one, whatever that means.

I've been in a lot of great expensive neighborhoods that were ruined because of dogs barking without even hesitating. You can hear them near and far away.
Over the years I've come face to face with Rottweilers, Dobermans, Inu's, Pit Bulls, Ridgebacks, German Shepherds and so on. Careless owners forget to mention there's one in the back yard or in the house. The only thing that saved me was I didn't run or stare or allow them to surround me (had to change clothes a couple of times). But those little yappy annoying dogs don't care- they'll try and get you if they can before you can step on them.
I've left a house more than once because the owner of a Doberman (For example) was chomping at the bits and swore he was a good dog and wouldn't put him up.
Then you have the folks that just love their dog enough to chain it to a tree the rest of it's life.
Upset

Some people shouldn't have any right having a dog.

"My name is Blackjack, and I approve this message!"
[Image: 7AEPB7x.jpg]
Well, I've long looked for evidence the deer whistles work, and there's no scientific based study that I could find that stated the whistles do work.  A couple of articles I found cited a Univ of Georgia study that found no support for a positive finding on the whistles.

I've hit deer twice, the second resulting in the total loss of my full-size pickup truck.  Ever since then I've been uber-vigilant while driving the 15 miles of rural area I go through to get into town.  Argh. 

I really do wish the whistles were effective, along with the other electronic pest repellents we are discussing.
This is all I could find that says they don't.

https://effectivewildlifesolutions.com/d...tles-work/
I appreciate you going to the trouble of finding the link. Others may find it useful. However, my question had to do with stopping (or reducing) the barking of my neighbor's dogs.
(10-19-2019, 07:24 PM)WxMan Wrote: I really do wish the whistles were effective, along with the other electronic pest repellents we are discussing.

Funny, on the way to the flea this morning, saw at least half a dozen deer near the side of the road, each turned its head and looked at me without running across.  Like I said they won't repel, but at least they don't run.  I see it as cheap insurance, but then again, I just hit one, so.........
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
How come talking to the owner is not an option? The results might surprise you. I solved the noisy neighbor dog problem years ago by marrying the neighbor. I don’t suppose that’s an option for you. ? can you file a noise complaint with your city or animal control?

Based on past experience, I have low confidence that discussions with the neighbors and/or reports to animal control will have positive results. Of course, they are options however poor they may be. More important to me is that such discussions here will detract from my basic question of whether ultrasonic devices work in quieting the barking of neighboring dogs. It is the one tool in the arsenal that I need to know about.
my MIL had a barking dog problem.  It was incredibly annoying.  She tried talking to the owners and finally calling the township with no permanent results.  A lot of areas now have anti-leash laws limiting the amount of time that a dog can be out. I'm a little surprised that the yuppieville she lived in didn't have one. Fortunately, the neighbor moved away.
Had the same problem in the Atlanta area (where we lived at the time) with a neighbor to our rear who was a lawyer. Called him a couple of times with no results. Finally called him in the wee hours of the morning when his dog had awakened us (yet again). Conversation went something like this: "Greg, your dog has woken us up again. I've complained about this to you a couple of times earlier. My wife (also an attorney) has researched the city ordinances and has discovered ours has one that covers barking dogs. Here's how this is going to work - I'm going to call the city police and they are going to come out to your house, knock on your door and issue you a warning. The next time they will issue a citation (think traffic ticket). Each time after that I call them they'll come back out to your house and issue you another citation. I can do this as long as you like."

Amazing how his dog stopped barking at night after that. Fortunately, a year or so later we relocated to another area of the country with enough property to not have to worry about neighbors with barking dogs. Many, if not most, dog owners are oblivious - just like people who think their kids can do no wrong.

Doug