Math/angle help?
How do I figure the angle I need to cut on the bottom of these legs to make them sit flat?

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

I can't help with the math, but I would measure the height the one side is off the floor and then mark that distance on the other side, run a line from that point to the opposite corner and make the cut. Does that make sense?
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Well, you don't have any numbers, so I'd just draw a line on the leg parallel to the floor, take it to a miter saw and line up the blade with the line.  Then just make the cut.

But...  the interior angles of a triangle add up to 180.   The problem is that a saw blade angle is measured relative to 90 degrees.  So to cut a board at an 80 degree angle, the gauge will read 10.
(10-17-2019, 07:47 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: How do I figure the angle I need to cut on the bottom of these legs to make them sit flat?

Just flip the bevel guage over and mark the board ...
Life is what happens when you're not paying attention.
(10-17-2019, 07:47 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: How do I figure the angle I need to cut on the bottom of these legs to make them sit flat?

As Sawman said just flip over your bevel gauge.  In this picture pink board is floor:

[Image: FxFpByL.jpg]

Flipped:

[Image: QwUyb92.jpg?1]

Draw line (parallel to floor):

[Image: knvd2UV.jpg?1]

Or you can just use bevel gauge to set angle of your saw:

[Image: Atg95LA.jpg]
You know, guys, I should have known this but just drew a blank.

Thanks.
Semper fi,
Brad

You'll find that happens more and more as you age.
Laugh
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
The OP was very good at describing his problem.....by using a photo. Many people pose their questions in (not easy to comprehend) text.

To the OP's question, another way to solve it if a sliding bevel is not around: place a block (that has parallel edges) on the floor against the leg and draw a line referencing along the top edge.

In other words, draw a line on the leg that's parallel to the floor.

Simon
(10-18-2019, 05:09 AM)fredhargis Wrote: You'll find that happens more and more as you age.
Laugh

Ha ha, for me, I can't remember when I started forgetting........
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(10-18-2019, 09:10 AM)Admiral Wrote: Ha ha, for me, I can't remember when I started forgetting........

but ya remembered ya started forgetting.
Big Grin