Christmas Bowl
I just finished this up today, one more Christmas gift done.
It's my last piece of eucalyptus I scored from the fire wood pile over 15 years ago.
That stuff is HARD and dulls tools quickly.
It's about 6 inches wide and 2 1/2 inches tall and has 3 coats of clear gloss lacquer.
Thanks for looking...

Great shape and I love the grain. Never turned it myself, being from Wisconsin I would have to order online
(10-19-2019, 02:11 PM)Turner52 Wrote: Great shape and I love the grain. Never turned it myself, being from Wisconsin I would have to order online
Elm will do for similar grain. You can find some in WI, I'm sure.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Beautiful bowl ....
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(10-19-2019, 02:39 PM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Elm will do for similar grain.

I was thinking the exact same thing...
Smile

Nice looking bowl!
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
(10-18-2019, 10:33 PM)wood-chips Wrote: I love every aspect of a bowl of this type. I love pith included bowls with the rim as yours is. I'm a big fan of the overall shape of the bowl. I don't see any sanding marks, which makes me believe you sanded it to a really fine grit. I don't know how you sprayed the lacquer on it so well, if you would care to share how your process of spraying this shape, without any apparent runs or sags, I'd appreciate it.
(10-22-2019, 12:02 AM)MidwestMan Wrote: I love every aspect of a bowl of this type. I love pith included bowls with the rim as yours is. I'm a big fan of the overall shape of the bowl. I don't see any sanding marks, which makes me believe you sanded it to a really fine grit. I don't know how you sprayed the lacquer on it so well, if you would care to share how your process of spraying this shape, without any apparent runs or sags, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for the complements.

Yes the bowl was sanded to 600 grit. I start out sanding with a drill sanding pad, in the case of this bowl I used 2” on the outside and 1” on the inside. I use a cheap Harbor Fright drill because the sawdust will kill any drill eventually and a disposable drill is much cheaper than a Mikita. I used a stiff pad on the outside and a flexible pad on the inside. It’s easier doing the inside with flexible pad because it allows better access to the upper inside rim. Once I finish power sanding to 320 I then hand sand, in this case to 600. Hand sanding goes pretty fast because there is no contouring, only smoothing all the surfaces to the next grit.

I use Minwax Clear Gloss Lacquer spray can. I have tried other brands but they don’t match the quality and performance of Minwax. The Minwax spray tip has a fan spray pattern and has a very fine mist pattern which greatly reduces runs. You can orient the spray tip for either vertical or horizontal pattern. The method I used for this bowl is to hold the bowl upside down, inside the bowl, with a glove on and spray the bottom and part of the lower side. Then put the bowl on a stand, a block with nails driven through and points sticking out, and spray the inside and the remainder of the upper outside. That way I can spray the entire bowl at one time. When spraying the inside there’s enough mist that it covers the inside upper rim. All the coats are light to avoid runs and sags. I sand between coats with a very fine foam backed sanding pad. I like using lacquer because it dries fast and unlike some other finishes, does not impart any coloring.
Thank you much for the detailed explanation of your finishing process. Great looking bowl. I'll have to give lacquer another chance. My problem is that I always get pooling on the inside (I know that I'm spraying too much). Or, I get orange peel, I guess from not spraying enough. I use HVLP and spray my big projects with lacquer without problems, but with a spraycan, I haven't found the right touch, unless the surface is flat.
Well done well done.  Shape and finish are perfect!!!
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Almost looks like elm. We have a bunch of red eucalyptus here but it warps cracks pretty bad. You did a nice job, a bowl that shape is hard to get at the interior.
VH07V