A magical pencil that won't break and you can see the lines

I have been searching for a nice pencil that will not snap off, and I can actually see the lines I drew. apparently this strange phenomena has yet to be devised.
While hunting for unicorns; I thought I had found a .9mm mechanical pencil that left dark lines, and did not snap off every time I drew a line. Then back to reality. It either breaks, or I can barley make out the joint I just laid out.
Any other folks find something they can see, AND is durable?
Now where is that chisel
  Re: A magical pencil that won't break and you can see the lines by Smashedfinger (I have been searchin...)
Al pencils will break with enough force

A soft pencil will leave a darker line more easily
(And will require sharpening more frequently)
Try a “B” pencil

You can also go with a. Lead holder, which use pretty thick leads. (Just don’t spill the residue from the sharpener in your shop)

Matt
  Re: A magical pencil that won't break and you can see the lines by Smashedfinger (I have been searchin...)
Look up Zebra DelGuard 0.5mm Lead Mechanical Pencil.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at http://www.inthewoodshop.com
  Re: RE: A magical pencil that won't break and you can see the lines by Derek Cohen (Look up Zebra DelGua...)
I use Delguard 0.3mm & Graphgear Pantel 0.5mm, both standing up to their reputation. Very hard to break in regular use. If I didn't have a Delguard already, I'd get a Graphgear 1000 0.3mm too. The latter's retraction system is so good.

0.7mm is the thickest lead I'd ever use; mostly 0.5mm, 0.3mm when that super fine line is called for now and then (say for dead on alignments).

Simon
  Re: RE: A magical pencil that won't break and you can see the lines by mdhills (Al pencils will brea...)
(10-19-2019, 01:22 PM)mdhills Wrote: Al pencils will break with enough force

A soft pencil will leave a darker line more easily
(And will require sharpening more frequently)
Try a “B” pencil

You can also go with a. Lead holder, which use pretty thick leads.  (Just don’t spill the residue from the sharpener in your shop)

Matt

Sharpening?

You a carpenter or what?

Just joking. Laugh Laugh Laugh 

Simon
A sharp scratch awl. You'd be surprised.
"There are no strangers- only friends I haven't met.
  Re: RE: A magical pencil that won't break and you can see the lines by daddo (A sharp scratch awl....)
(10-19-2019, 04:27 PM)daddo Wrote: A sharp scratch awl. You'd be surprised.

Yes, it has its place...one weakness of it is it can't be undone as quickly as a swipe of an eraser.

Simon
(10-19-2019, 11:55 AM)Smashedfinger Wrote: Any other folks find something they can see, AND is durable?

a pen
Try a carpenter pencil sharpened to a flat point. I generally start by using a utility knife to get the wood off. Then  a 1/4 sheet of 150 grit sandpaper on a flat surface to finish the fine point.

Re: RE: A magical pencil that won't break and you can see the lines by Handplanesandmore ([quote='mdhills' pid...)
(10-19-2019, 03:41 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Sharpening?

You a carpenter or what?

Simon

My lead holders are from drafting, but I recall Chris Schwarz had a note about them, too.

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodw...ide-day-1/

(the one he links to is much chunkier than the ones I used for drafting)

Matt

[url=https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fd2ydh70d4b5xgv.cloudfront.net%2Fimages%2Ff%2Fa%2Fvintage-dietzgen-mechanical-pencil-pointer-n3230-sharpoint-sharpener-46164ef7712de2645331e9557ba7c3cb.jpg&f=1&nofb=1][/url]