Powermatic 3520 - high pitch noise
(10-21-2019, 03:45 PM)MidwestMan Wrote: I'd call powermatic customer service and see if they'd work a repair/swap or something like that. If you're a dyi guy, I suppose you could try to locate the component and replace it yourself.

I second this, Call Powermatic, their people are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. I called them a few times in reference to several pieces of equipment I service at a shop I run and they have always come through for me. 

Paul
With bi-lateral high frequency hearing loss and bi-lateral tinnitus, there is no way I could hear such a noise. Got new hearing aids some time back, got in my old van and heard noises I had never heard before. Thought my van was falling apart.
I was right.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
Might be a cooling fan for the electronics.
VH07V  
Hello Strokes, can you share the status of this problem/issue?
(10-20-2019, 11:50 AM)Strokes77 Wrote: New to me 1999 Powermatic 3520.

Runs well, seems to have full speed range, reverse, and enough torque.

But, when it is on it's slowest speed, there is a high pitch electrical sounding whine.  It continues as speed increases, changes pitch, but still there.

Is this an issue? Other than annoyance?  Or normal?

I am selling old lathe and setting this one up as my primary, want to make sure it's good to go before committing.

My 3520B never made that sound.

My first instinct isn't elecrical, but a mechanical cause.  

Maybe a bearing..   Can you experiment and loosen the shaft.

Good Luck...
Slow Dancing..... doing vertically what you're wanting to do horizontally
I suspect there is an electrical component (a coil/transformer) somewhere “singing” (that is the actual term).

Probably a design issue. Not likely a problem. Perhaps fixed on later versions.
I have had that problem today and thought it was coming from the head stock while I was turning, however, it was an old live center with the bearings needing grease or lubing.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.