WALNUT FINISH
JUST A GENERA; QUESTION BUT WHAT ARE SOME OF Y'ALL S FAVORITE FINISHES FOR BLACK WALNUT? Small project and just trying to get some input.  Thanx.
(10-20-2019, 07:32 PM)weelis Wrote: JUST A GENERA; QUESTION BUT WHAT ARE SOME OF Y'ALL S FAVORITE FINISHES FOR BLACK WALNUT? Small project and just trying to get some input.  Thanx.

Tung oil, then orange shellac.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(10-20-2019, 07:32 PM)weelis Wrote: JUST A GENERA; QUESTION BUT WHAT ARE SOME OF Y'ALL S FAVORITE FINISHES FOR BLACK WALNUT? Small project and just trying to get some input.  Thanx.

Wiping varnish over very light coat of BLO.  Arm-R-Seal or Waterlox for the varnish.  

John
wet sand with BLO/MS/Oil poly mix then top coat of oil base poly.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Shellac looks good. 

Best to just experiment and decide for yourself.
(10-28-2019, 08:15 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: Shellac looks good. 

Best to just experiment and decide for yourself.

I typically sand to 320 , apply one coat of minwax neutral followed by 3 to 6 coats of Sherman Williams LowVOC Lacquer, medium rub effect. I wet sand in between each coat with 400 wet dry and tack before spraying each coat with HVLP