A sawing issue that needs advice
(10-22-2019, 03:19 PM)joemac Wrote: I am trying to make a traditional rolling pin that would be about 3" in diameter and 15" long, then add handles.  I first glue up a blank and then plan on turning it into a cylinder- all pretty straightforward stuff.  The problem arises because I want to incorporate a Celtic Cross into the pin.  To do this, before turning, you must true up the blank, making the sides square to each other, with both sides being equal and therefore making a long square.  To make the Celtic Cross, you first mark the mid point of the long edge, then strike a line 5" on each side of the center line.  Then mark the diagonal between the outside lines.  This line is about 60 degrees across the blank (I hope you can follow my poor explanation!).  I then made a crosscut sled for my tablesaw, and put in blocks which held the blank so that when I ran it through the saw, it made a cut of 60 degrees, starting 5" from one end of the blank, exiting on the opposite side 5" from the other end, cutting the blank in two pieces at 60 degrees.  I then take a piece of contrasting wood which is the thickness of my saw blade (the removed kerf width) and glue it between the two pieces.  Next, (after the glue dries) spin the blank 90 degrees and repeat.  Do this until I have made four cuts in the blank and inserted four contrasting, thin pieces of wood, one in each side.

Long way around the barn to get to my problem:  When I make those four 60 degree cuts, the blade doesn't go high enough to get through the 1/2 jig and the 3" blank.  It is about 3/8" too short.  For this to work, it is critical that the four cuts start and end at the same place on each side.  If I flip the blank over, I could cut the 3/8" off, but it isn't exactly flat & flush with the first cut and therefore the thin blank won't glue up strong.  As it is I am gluing partial end grain to side grain, to end grain with the contrasting wood sandwich, not the best thing for something that needs to be strong.

Any ideas of some way to get either a larger blade or make the cut evenly and completely through the blank?

3/8" short? See if a larger blade will work . I once had to work with  a 9" Rockwell saw and only had 10" blades on hand. I put the 10" blade on and tried it without power. I finished the job with the 10" blade .This worked for the job at hand. I was careful to remove the blade when done as the saw was not mine. I sent the dull 9" blades to Ridge Sharpening Service and also bought a 9" " Ridge Super Blade". This is 40 TPI and worth the money ( $110.00 If I recall).  I also bought same blade except 10" for my own saw.
These blades are comparable to Forest .

mike