Drywalling a 14 foot ceiling?
I would love for everything to be covered in 5/8 but when it comes to mainly to weight and somewhat cost then yeah I'm going for 1/2" light panels and even at that my shoulder and the rest of my body are saying NO!!!!!!! At that I would like to have the heavy 5/8 if I were not doing it myself as the density helps with sound as well. I would also like to have the walls skim coated like they do over in England where they basically still put a layer of plaster on the walls instead of the cheaper US way of just taping joints. 

Oh and don't forget to tell your electrician as the nubs on boxes are sized for 1/2"...
(10-25-2019, 11:39 AM)goaliedad Wrote: Local independent real lumberyard stock both 1/2 and 5/8. Problem solved. 
I do like the idea presented for dealing with butt joints- good information to file away

Most drywall suppliers deliver, right into the room you need it to go. Just ask them.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

5/8" sure makes it a pain trimming out doors and windows.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

In response to Robert. Move to Green Bay. Most new construction here is totally skim coated with Plaster. For this you need blueboard instead of drywall. Paper is much rougher giving better adhesion. Most commercial construction is drywall. The plaster gives a much harder finish and stands up to minor dings and scrapes that life throws at it. It is textured with what is called a skip trowel finish. Think REALLYlight stucco look. If you want smooth plaster with no texture well if you need to ask the price you cannot afford it. Crazy high. Then you are better off with drywall IF you can find a drywaller willing to do residential. Very strange how the 2 different products are so segragated between residential and commercial Go 100 miles south and mostly drywall everywhere. Not sure why Green Bay is the only area that does this.