Drywalling a 14 foot ceiling?
(10-25-2019, 07:51 AM)brianwelch Wrote: Interesting concept, wish I had seen this 25 years ago...
Thank you for sharing

I've used it on long ceilings where i want to hide the butt joint but I have used it more often in remodeling when you want to remove part of a wall's gyp board.  Just cut the existing mid stud and insert the splice backing as in the link then apply the new drywall.  The splice will bend the new and existing in slightly and form tapered ends which can be taped invisibly.  saves you having to feather out the joint a few feet to hide the join.  it also gives you more space to screw the ends of the existing and new to the backer splice rather then share half a stud for both.
WoodNET... the new safespace
(10-25-2019, 07:51 AM)brianwelch Wrote: Interesting concept, wish I had seen this 25 years ago...

+billion
Local independent real lumberyard stock both 1/2 and 5/8. Problem solved. 
I do like the idea presented for dealing with butt joints- good information to file away

The new 1/2" lightweight is rated for 24" centers. Old stuff was not. The lightweight is a real backsaver. Any drywall supplier should have whatever you need The 54" is used mostly for walls with a 9' ceiling. Borgs usually do not carry near the selection of a company selling mostly to builders.
(10-25-2019, 02:30 PM)Turner52 Wrote: The new 1/2" lightweight is rated for 24" centers. Old stuff was not. The lightweight is a real backsaver. Any drywall supplier should have whatever you need The 54" is used mostly for walls with a 9' ceiling. Borgs usually do not carry near the selection of a company selling mostly to builders.

Yeah ultralight 1/2" is 38lbs vs 50lbs for regular and 71lbs for regular 5/8 and 52lbs for light weight. Those are huge weight savings on a 4x8 sheet. 

54 is getting more common at some of the borgs as 9'+ ceilings are becoming the norm again. We are finally going back to the higher ceilings in houses. I would never build a house with 8' ceilings and would prefer not to purchase one with low ceilings again. The higher ceilings are more comfortable in the summer as that 140* of the attic is a little further away from you...

Still amazes me how much cheaper Drywall and insulation is at Menards vs depot and Lowes. They are cheaper than the commercial suppliers here... Oh how I wish we could move somewhere with a Menards (and better weather).
Do you need 5/8" on the ceiling to meet fire rating? I'm not being to smart Alec just asking the question.
(10-25-2019, 07:54 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Do you need 5/8" on the ceiling to meet fire rating?  I'm not being to smart Alec just asking the question.

I've always heard that was garage specific.
(10-25-2019, 07:54 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Do you need 5/8" on the ceiling to meet fire rating?  I'm not being to smart Alec just asking the question.

No
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Most building material places stock 14 and 16 foot drywall.  You will pay more for it than a Menards due to quantity.  If you were buying enough drywall to complete an entire house, the building supply places will discount the drywall lower than any big box store.  Menards lists the 14 and 16 foot sheets but they are not stock and require a minimum order that is very large.

I agree the the light weight drywall will span 24 inches but I always use 5/8" on all surfaces.  The 5/8" drywall gives a much more solid surface.  The 1/2" sheets are like noodles when you try to handle them.  The only drawback I have found for the 5/8" Sheets, besides the weight, it that you have to make custom door jambs since they are sized for 1/2" drywall.

I drywalled my house solo using a lift and 5/8" 16 foot sheets when they were available in 54" wide sheets.  Each sheet weighed about 170 pounds.  It can be done.
Kitchen ceiling? Knock it out in a day and be done with it.

I've done a lot of ceiling work in this house. It's very time consuming, even with the right tools.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS