Drywalling a 14 foot ceiling?
Kitchen at the lake house is 14 by 14. I need to redo the drywall on it. I am fine doing the normal joints, but really don’t look forward to butt joints- especially on the ceiling
12 foot long sheets of drywall are available locally. 
I see 16 foot sheets referenced on line. Any idea if sources? I will call a local real lumberyard tomorrow, but wondered if anyone has first hand experience

TIA

It would be awesome to do the room in one piece from side to side and no butt joints. But can you get a 16' board in the room? I would have liked longer sheets to do the same in the master bedroom but I can't get them in the room. Big sheets are cumbersome but it makes for a much better end product and much less finishing and no big feathers over the butt joints.

Look up your local drywall suppliers not lumber yards. The drywall suppliers will have allot more selection. You can also get 14' panels though often they are 54" wide. Usually just under $20 from a good supplier. 

As for retail... Depot and Lowes price gouge on drywall and insulation here since we don't have Menards. Drywall is about $3 a sheet more and R13 insulation is double the price that Menards is...
Getting the sheet in will not be a problem- we will be removing the wall between the kitchen and living room, replacing it with a beam. Otherwise it would be very difficult

(10-24-2019, 07:39 PM)goaliedad Wrote: Getting the sheet in will not be a problem- we will be removing the wall between the kitchen and living room, replacing it with a beam. Otherwise it would be very difficult

If you want to use shorter drywall you can make perfectly hidden butt joints by using plywood spacers and having the joint fall between rafters.

https://www.finehomebuilding.com/1996/01...utt-joints

I've used them and they make the butt ends act like a tapered end.

But, I'd go with 16' sheets if you have a lift.    Check with your local drywall supply houses that the commercial guys buy from.
WoodNET... the new safespace
Menards web site shows 1/2" drywall in 16' sheets:

Linky

Might have to special order.
A lift will be used- I did not get this old by being dumb!

Thanks for the Menards link- I did not see that when I was looking earlier. 
I will have to transport the sheets about 120 mikes, but I have access to a flat bed truck
There is only a Home Depot over at the lake ( plus independent yards) so I will check with them about special ordering it
Problem solved

Ceiling sheetrock needs to be 5/8", not 1/2". Especially if the rafters are 24" OC.
1/2" is standard on ceilings especially since ultralight came about and can be used 24"oc unless code says otherwise.

Usually multifamily dwellings usually require 5/8 ceilings and sometimes on walls between units. Lots of other variables depending on local codes. Some require 5/8 or 1/2" fire code board on garage ceilings etc.

Oh and if it's an older house it may have furring strips to attach the drywall to instead of the ceiling joists. I absolutely hate those things. They are such a PITA when it comes to installing lights, vents etc. Basically it makes the ceiling a mine field of solid wood... Our house was built in 1960 and they used 1" thick tongue and groove fir decking as furring strips so they are mostly 6" wide so you have almost no open space without having to drill and hack through hard fir strips to install lights. If someone came by and said I helped build your house I would probably slug him for that and all the other poor practices they used back then.

Oh and when doing demo don't forget and leave a pile of old drywall on your trailer if it's going to rain.... I had some in one of my trailers for the mower and it rained and about a week or so later I found one stinky mold covered mess since it was a perfect breeding ground and soaking up water from the trailer...
(10-24-2019, 10:11 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: Ceiling sheetrock needs to be 5/8", not 1/2". Especially if the rafters are 24" OC.

+1  It is the norm on new construction in my area.  Don't know if it is required by code but it prevents the sagging down over time.    Roly
(10-24-2019, 08:01 PM)Splinter Puller Wrote: If you want to use shorter drywall you can make perfectly hidden butt joints by using plywood spacers and having the joint fall between rafters.

https://www.finehomebuilding.com/1996/01...utt-joints

I've used them and they make the butt ends act like a tapered end.

But, I'd go with 16' sheets if you have a lift.    Check with your local drywall supply houses that the commercial guys buy from.

Interesting concept, wish I had seen this 25 years ago...
Thank you for sharing