LOML wants me to make new front door
(10-29-2019, 08:48 PM)jteneyck  Epoxy will lose some strength, too, but not nearly as much. Wrote: John

The only problems I've had with epoxy is on steel and concrete.  Never needed the strength on anything I've made of wood but this is bigger than anything I've glued up before so epoxy it is!

Guy I know is shutting down a cabinet shop and has a horizontal drill machine for sale cheap so I may have to get a new toy
Laugh
Rolleyes

Thanks again for the help. That's why I've been here for so long
Cool

(first joined in fall of '99, lost everything in big crash and had to start over)
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(10-30-2019, 09:42 AM)Wild Turkey Wrote: The only problems I've had with epoxy is on steel and concrete.  Never needed the strength on anything I've made of wood but this is bigger than anything I've glued up before so epoxy it is!

Guy I know is shutting down a cabinet shop and has a horizontal drill machine for sale cheap so I may have to get a new toy
Laugh
Rolleyes

Thanks again for the help. That's why I've been here for so long
Cool

(first joined in fall of '99, lost everything in big crash and had to start over)

You're welcome.  You don't need epoxy for strength.  You need it for strength at high temperature - when the sun gets on it.  I know it sounds nuts, but exterior doors can get crazy hot if the sun hits them directly for very long.  Dark colored ones get the hottest, and ones behind a storm door literally cook.  I measured almost 200F on one facing S. behind a storm door.  And that's well above the max. temp. limit of TB III.

Hmm, horizontal boring machine?  You might want to use dowels in that case.  Nothing is much easier as long as you can accurately locate the holes in the mating frame parts.  A template would allow you to do that.  

John
I used my domino XL on my last couple doors. Works really well
(11-02-2019, 10:28 PM)Wipedout Wrote: I used my domino XL on my last couple doors. Works really well

It's not polite to brag.  Nice tool for sure, but hard to justify for many.  A plunge router works just as well, though not quite as quickly, for cutting mortises in door members, and most folks already own one.  But I'd use the Domino for sure if I had one.  

John