It feels so good
Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement.  I hesitated to even tell you all about it because others have health problems far greater than mine, but eventually decided to to let you know why I've been a little quiet the past few weeks.  I feel very lucky to have this issue mostly behind me and wish anyone here facing or dealing with a major health problem the best of luck for a successful treatment and complete recovery.  

What's on my bench now that I'm back in the shop?  I'm building an automatic bandsaw blade sharpener after one I saw on YouTube, to sharpen blades for my lumber mill.  Pictures to follow when it gets a little further along.  

John
Glad to hear you are on the mend. You are certainly right about the way modern medicine has saved the lives of many and enabled them to continue living a much better life than would have been possible 50 years ago. Hopefully 50 years from now our grandkids and their offspring will be able to look back on this time as the dark ages of medicine. I am not always a big fan of so called progress. I do not always see it as an improvement. Medicine is definitly an excemption to that, the progress that is being made is unbeliavable.
You are doing great John! From my own issues, I can offer this advice (unsolicited though it may be.) Don't push too hard. There is a fine line between overdoing and causing damage and the kind of mild pushing that starts the healing and keeps it going. Post-surgery, opiates should not be needed past day 4 or so. The idea is to get ahead of the pain curve and stay there. After day 4, if acetaminophen won't do the job, you either need to talk to the surgeon or sit down and let things heal.

Looking forward to your new builds - just do not rush.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard