Bearings?
I'm looking for something, not sure if "bearings" is the right name, so let me explain.

What I need is something that sits between two metal plates that move in opposition, with a bolt that is connecting them. It's about 1/8"-3/6" thick, and has to be able to handle the friction during movement without squeaking. Ideally it would have bearings that touch both pieces, this would aid in supporting the movement without squeaking. Just not sure if that is the proper term. 

A simple, thick washer won't due because it requires periodic lubrication to prevent the squeaking, and access to the parts will be very limited.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
(10-29-2019, 07:58 AM)Scouter Wrote: I'm looking for something, not sure if "bearings" is the right name, so let me explain.

What I need is something that sits between two metal plates that move in opposition, with a bolt that is connecting them. It's about 1/8"-3/6" thick, and has to be able to handle the friction during movement without squeaking. Ideally it would have bearings that touch both pieces, this would aid in supporting the movement without squeaking. Just not sure if that is the proper term. 

A simple, thick washer won't due because it requires periodic lubrication to prevent the squeaking, and access to the parts will be very limited.

HDPE plastic washer or piece cut from a sheet.
(10-29-2019, 07:58 AM)Scouter Wrote: I'm looking for something, not sure if "bearings" is the right name, so let me explain.

If you cannot use linear bearings, then PTFE sheets (Teflon) would be the next best choice.

https://www.grainger.com/category/raw-ma...ters=attrs
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
What size plates? What type and how much load? What speed?

For all we know, your trying to hold a horizontal load of 50 lbs and rotate it. I know that sounds excessive, but you get the point.

You may need a bearing support of 3" diameter or just 1" diameter- depends on the force involved.

If it's what I'm thinking and a simple vertical load go here;  https://www.amazon.com/turntable-bearing...e+bearings

Perhaps a flat roller thrust bearing.  But sealed type.

[Image: bearing-roller-thrust.gif]
A roller bearing or self lubricating thrust washer were my first two thoughts too.

In addition to UHMW, PTFE there’s also oil impregnated bronze thrust washers. Depends on the specific application.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
I go to the bearing store near here a lot to buy and get advice. One of the old guys there calls them "barin's".

If I hang out there long enough, I'm temped to say;"Barin", so I limit my stay.  
Laugh
Thanks everyone.

Question about the PTFE, would that require lubrication to prevent squeaks while still allowing free movement? I have some of that handy, but just didn't think it would fit the bill. With what I have in stock I would have to make two "washers" to fit back-to-back, or buy the proper thickness.

Thrust bearings! That's the name I was looking for! Thanks! I know I didn't provide specs, mainly because I was just looking for the name of the bearing. I tried looking on Amazon just typing in "bearings" but it didn't bring up thrust bearings, just standard wheel and pillow bearings.

Wish I had a bearing shop near here, would make life a lot easier.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
(10-29-2019, 04:30 PM)Scouter Wrote: Thanks everyone.

Question about the PTFE, would that require lubrication to prevent squeaks while still allowing free movement? I have some of that handy, but just didn't think it would fit the bill. With what I have in stock I would have to make two "washers" to fit back-to-back, or buy the proper thickness.

Thrust bearings! That's the name I was looking for! Thanks! I know I didn't provide specs, mainly because I was just looking for the name of the bearing. I tried looking on Amazon just typing in "bearings" but it didn't bring up thrust bearings, just standard wheel and pillow bearings.

Wish I had a bearing shop near here, would make life a lot easier.

Our company produces wire components for automotive customers.  One of the wire components we produced years ago was coated with PTFE after forming.  The part was used in truck seats and the PTFE was applied to eliminate squeaking where the wires crossed each other. 

My belief is that PTFE will eliminate squeaks, but I have not made any personal observations on that.

Prior to using the PTFE we used paper wrapped wire for the same purpose, but that wire required dedicated machinery and the PTFE coated parts could be run on conventional wire forming equipment for a lot less money.
PTFE does not require a fluid lubricant. In some cases fluid will defeat the purpose of a dry interface, such as furniture coasters. The one thing that bothers me about Teflon is grit being embedded into the material.

Can  you post a photo of the application?