Chriz Schwarz Dump-On Site
The acerbic nature of Chris' writing fits my humor perfectly. I'm pretty sure he fell into the Basement and developed his WoodNet impressions from that nightmare. I actually laughed when I hit his complaint department link.

I believe I commend the man far more than point out ego issues. But, do try to honestly critique his work in the "Comments" after wading through the effusively mindless praise he receives. It was only after being spurned that I pulled out a bigger set of guns and slammed that ridiculous gate table that Ikea introduced before he copied it. If you have to do one, pick an example that works.

After you waste your thoughtful remarks over at LAP, come back to a more democratic forum with your advice. Just stay away from the Septic Tank.
Chris has a loyal fan base and we shouldn't be surprised to see the same kind of supportive comments in his blog. He could literally say he could use the iron upside down in a bevel down plane with good results and still the majority of his blog followers would hi five him.

It's the same story over Sellers's camp. Sellers's words are golden, only to be followed and appreciated, according to his blog fans. Call it the social media groupthink, if you like.

Simon
(10-30-2019, 05:45 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Chris has a loyal fan base and we shouldn't be surprised to see the same kind of supportive comments in his blog. He could literally say he could use the iron upside down in a bevel down plane with good results and still the majority of his blog followers would hi five him.

It's the same story over Sellers's camp. Sellers's words are golden, only to be followed and appreciated, according to his blog fans. Call it the social media groupthink, if you like.

Simon

Sort of like shooting someone on Fifth Avenue, and nobody would care........
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Hey he's into woodworking, doesn't it pretty much make him a good guy?
There is no such thing as bad advertising, and that link in his blog post proves it.  He has people talking, and that is only a good thing.

For what it is worth I admire the guy.  Dude has a vision for how he wants to live his life, and he does it, and doesn't much care what anyone else says about it.

Beyond that he has had a very positive impact on recreational woodworking.  That is a good thing for all of us.  The more people doing it, the more companies compete for our business through innovation of new products, and providing a high quality tool generally not available 20 years ago.

I don't consider his writing sophomoric, but conversational.  When I read his articles, or books I feel like I'm having a conversation with him.   I rather enjoy that.  Most authors writing style feels like they are talking to you, no with you.

Yes he is was a writer first, but a writer that discovered a passion for woodworking.  He has been fortunate enough to combine two things he loves and make a living at it.  We should all be so lucky.

Is he as an accomplished a WW as Odate, Klaus, or Maloof, no, but he isn't trying to be.  The professional ww's that don't like him seem to do so for no other reason than petty jealousy of his much larger audience.  If they tried half as hard at writing as he does to be an exceptional ww, they would mimic his success. 

Just my thoughts.  Haters gonna hate....
Semper Fi,

Barry
Seriously the guy is entertaining and brings people into the pass time.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(10-30-2019, 12:48 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Of course, not the same. There's no following in existence in the break room, is there? One is an active mode of marketing, one passive. It's day and night.

Simon

How did he force you to click on the link to his site?  Were you frog-marched over there by the  FBI?  
Cool   Or was that your own choice?  
Big Grin
Fair winds and following seas,
Jim Waldron
(10-31-2019, 12:37 PM)Jim Waldron Wrote: How did he force you to click on the link to his site?  Were you frog-marched over there by the  FBI?  
Cool   Or was that your own choice?  
Big Grin

Jim, You fit into the typical fan club profile, seeing things only the club leader wants you to see.
Laugh

Where did I ever mention about forced marketing? I did mention that I haven't been to his blog for a long time. Before his blog became commercially oriented (the PWW days), I found woodworking topics that were not mixed with marketing pitches. Those were the days. Nothing wrong with Chris's move to building and selling his ideas and products...I just have bought enough toys (and books), and are staying away from marketing blogs.

Simon
(10-30-2019, 05:45 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Chris has a loyal fan base and we shouldn't be surprised to see the same kind of supportive comments in his blog. He could literally say he could use the iron upside down in a bevel down plane with good results and still the majority of his blog followers would hi five him.

I disagree.  Chris has a large audience, so there will be a few people with every possible opinion -- some will agree, and some will disagree with absolutely anything he says.  There seems to me a contingent that is working to misinterpret and ridicule everything he says.  It may not be large, but it's loud.  People do not need to read what he writes, but if what they know of what he says is third hand, might want to consider criticizing the idea rather than him for purportedly saying it.  I'm not here thinking of particularly recent comments.

He has opinions, and writes clearly enough that you can tell what he's talking about.  I frequently disagree with the opinion but find the reasons and discussion helpful to the way I think about the topics.  For instance, in a review the least valuable part is the bottom line where someone tells you what they think is "best".  If there is enough said that you can evaluate the criteria as well as the tools, you can decide whether the conclusions are relevant to your needs, and at best choose a different preferred product based on other criteria.  I find that Chris's discussion and reviews almost always provide enough to be helpful in that sort of manner.

He has gone into business, and has a blog on his commercial site (Lost Art Press) that mentions the products he sells, including those of Crucible.  He publishes elsewhere as well.  To criticize him for using his commercial site for commercial purposes seems odd to me, but it's perfectly reasonable to say you don't want to read it.
(10-31-2019, 01:26 PM)Alan S Wrote: I disagree.  Chris has a large audience, so there will be a few people with every possible opinion -

He has gone into business, and has a blog on his commercial site (Lost Art Press) that mentions the products he sells, including those of Crucible.  He publishes elsewhere as well.  To criticize him for using his commercial site for commercial purposes seems odd to me, but it's perfectly reasonable to say you don't want to read it.

Show me a current or past blog post in which a "divergent" comment is not shot down by his supporters. Sellers's blog has the same trait. Don't believe me? Head over to his blog and you'll find examples in the comment section (Sellers's does not require you to sign up to make comments).

Who is complaining or criticizing Chris for having and using his commercial site?

Simon