Chriz Schwarz Dump-On Site
(11-01-2019, 10:22 PM)EdL Wrote: LMAO.....the complaint dept. link and story did what he wanted.....got a whole lot of peoples shorts in a bunch.

Anyone working on getting the keg-o-rator in the basement fixed?

Ed

Get something fixed on WN?????
Laugh
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Funny, the complaints here are exactly who I would expect them to be from. And they complain about Chris.
Bwahahahaha!!!
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(11-01-2019, 10:22 PM)EdL Wrote: LMAO.....the complaint dept. link and story did what he wanted.....

Ed

Whatever his intention might be, his post sounds like a good thing for the WN as it led to this thread which in turn interested members to join in the discussion. And another good thing is that the discussion is not one-sided like those you typically find in fan clubs...oops, blogs.
Big Grin

Simon
I am relieved to know WN is a platform where most ideas can be expressed and discussed reasonably. What has flowed through this thread could never happen at Lost Art, or FWW; even the Mill, based on the complaints I read here. 

Forgive the lack of detail in my post. Our three-minute attention spans force me to spit out my OPs at 3 to 30 second reading durations. I don't think it matters much how I present content since responses can be really convoluted. However, this thread held up pretty well....

I obviously read (rather, consume) Schwarz posts and guest appearances throughout the WW-hand-tool community public venues. His interests are stimulating and often, utterly boring. However, the harping is lean so following him is necessary. I am not arguing his qualifications. That point of discussion is senseless. He harps--one--that issue pretty well. Would I shell out bucks for a seminar, or class? Extremely doubtful. And, not just for him. I can't afford all of my passions, nor probably even one. 

The "Complaint Department" link is more universal than just one person or entity deep. Contrary to many members thoughts, WN is the perfect place to discuss events, trends, and even gripe about wood and its champions.
I took Chris' post as a backhanded compliment for Woodnet. I don't remember on severe Chris bashing as opposed to some other sites. But then I have CRS disease. I wonder if WN membership took a jump after that post?
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(11-02-2019, 03:13 PM)hbmcc Wrote: I am relieved to know WN is a platform where most ideas can be expressed and discussed reasonably. What has flowed through this thread could never happen at Lost Art, or FWW; even the Mill, based on the complaints I read here. 
WN doesn't censor comments as often as some other sites do (blogs are different animals, and we should expect some blog owners to be more defensive and less tolerant). But often, it is not the forum or blog owners who discourage non-conforming remarks but the "old guards" who aren't comfortable with people rocking their boats, so to speak. I prefer people who stir the pot or rock the boat as that's how innovative ideas or big changes can happen.

They exist in every forum or social media platform (woodworking or not) I visit or visited, and the only way you can speak your mind in their presence is to stand your ground. They'll give up once they know you aren't the usual type that they can intimidate. They move on and find other "newbies" to pile on.

Don't ever expect the forum managers or other members to come to your rescue. They won't, or the old guards wouldn't behave the way they do in the first place -- they love conformity as a "family."

Simon
Not offended. Found it funny. I am of the fan camp. Found Chris about a year ago when I decided to pick up some hand tools. I was immediately a fan of his writing; it is very definitely of a piece with the Gen-X generation, of which both of us are a part. There is mild east coast snark, semi-ironic detachment, self-deprecating humor, and a background hint of continual amazement that things haven't ended in catastrophic failure.

There are a lot of baby-boomer woodworking writers, and the next generation of folks who are digital-native and write like it. There's not a lot of in-between. Chris speaks to how my generation of woodworkers came into the hobby; with at best a single shop class in high school or a parent or grandparent with a few tools and a penchant for not explaining things. Most of us learned out of self-study aided by a few books, most likely borrowed from the library or bought at the Walden's in the mall. We bought crappy 90s China import tools from Sears and tried to remember to record 'The New Yankee Workshop' on PBS with our VCRs. Then the internet happened, and we could finally fill in the knowledge gap with the boomers still into woodwork and vanity. We don't have a classical woodworking education, and we don't appreciate the listicle or Instagram over quality written word. We're a small weird group sandwiched between two generations that are much louder, so it's nice to hear things in our own voice every now and then. Which no doubt accounts for a small chunk of Chris's fan base.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
(11-02-2019, 03:13 PM)hbmcc Wrote: I am relieved to know WN is a platform where most ideas can be expressed and discussed reasonably. What has flowed through this thread could never happen at Lost Art, or FWW; even the Mill, based on the complaints I read here. 

That policy is a blessing and a curse.  It, as you cite, allows a free expression of ideas and debate.  On the other hand, I've seen a fair exodus of talented members for precisely the same reason.  Bob Smalser is one who comes to mind.  Even Chris Schwarz was a member of this forum at one time.  I don't think he renewed his membership when the software change occurred.  Joel Moskowitz (Tools for Working Wood) used to be a frequent contributor.  I doubt he's posted in years.  I've only seen one member booted out of the forum since I've joined (attacks got very personal).  He deserved it.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(11-04-2019, 10:10 AM)AHill Wrote: That policy is a blessing and a curse.  It, as you cite, allows a free expression of ideas and debate.  On the other hand, I've seen a fair exodus of talented members for precisely the same reason. 

You could add Rob Cosman to the list. However, lack of time could also be one of the reasons why business people decide not to take part in forums. We all know forums aren't as effective as other social media like FB, Instagram, etc. as a sales tool.

On the other hand, Rob Lee, David Charlesworth and others are still around, showing their resilience and ability to invest their time and where necessary to defend themselves well.

As far as I'm concerned, all actively participating members are talented.

Simon
Stu, too. Many others may still be out there and now are simply watching, keeping a finger to the pulse of the movement. Or, they could have jumped ship and gone to Reddit.

But I think the main reason a forum person drifts away is economy of thought and words. Personal blogs replace the effort of possibly proving oneself repeatedly at a forum. Even the repetition wears one out.