Chriz Schwarz Dump-On Site
(11-13-2019, 09:13 PM)hbmcc Wrote: I am amazed by the directions this thread moves. It's all a refreshing read.

Hmmm, well, I guess Chris succeeded in stirring the pot in a good way!  That's what he does, most of the time.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
...but remember the diverse nature of discussion is happening HERE at WN, thanks to the OP's post. Elsewhere (aka fan clubs) the idea of "dissent" might have been shouted down long before it started.

Simon
And, think of all the FREE advertising you all have been given The Schwarz with this thread....
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(11-14-2019, 11:56 AM)bandit571 Wrote: And, think of all the FREE advertising you all have been given The Schwarz with this thread....
Winkgrin
It's a win-win. Forums with little action are too boring to drop by.

Simon
I've been enjoying reading the varied opinions expressed on this thread. As a fellow woodworking editor who started out around the same time as Chris, I've admired his ability to create such a strong brand awareness both for Popular Woodworking and for himself. Whether you agree with him on every topic or not, he's definitely had an impact on promoting the hobby of woodworking.
Vince Ancona
WoodNet Moderator
Editor, Woodsmith Magazine
(11-14-2019, 07:37 AM)jerry s Wrote: 2 others that influenced me were Jim Kingshott and Garrett Hack , when i first started to use hand tools.

I would add Mike Dunbar to that list
Vince Ancona
WoodNet Moderator
Editor, Woodsmith Magazine
Has Schwarz published articles in Pop Wood recently? Did anyone mention on this thread that Active Interest Media, owner of WoodNet.net--and, Woodsmith--purchased Popular Woodworking a few months ago?

Would this change in leadership have any bearing on the "complaints" referral direction?
(11-16-2019, 12:02 PM)hbmcc Wrote: Has Schwarz published articles in Pop Wood recently? Did anyone mention on this thread that Active Interest Media, owner of WoodNet.net--and, Woodsmith--purchased Popular Woodworking a few months ago?

Would this change in leadership have any bearing on the "complaints" referral direction?
His contract with Pop Wood ended at the end of 2018, so no new content from him since then. Chris has done the ‘complaint department’ link thing in his blog posts with other forums in the past, notably SMC and LJ. I don’t think he has a problem with the ownership of any of the forums.
(11-16-2019, 12:59 PM)Greg Jones Wrote: His contract with Pop Wood ended at the end of 2018, so no new content from him since then. Chris has done the ‘complaint department’ link thing in his blog posts with other forums in the past, notably SMC and LJ. I don’t think he has a problem with the ownership of any of the forums.

As others noted here, perhaps these links are a subtle nod to those forum sites.
(11-16-2019, 12:02 PM)hbmcc Wrote: Has Schwarz published articles in Pop Wood recently? Did anyone mention on this thread that Active Interest Media, owner of WoodNet.net--and, Woodsmith--purchased Popular Woodworking a few months ago?

I suspect that you will see any future scribblings instead in FWW mag. The direction of Pop Wood has altered, and Megan has already published at least on the FWW website.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com