Types of Screws?
Hi all,

As I start my way back into woodworking I need to stock my shop. I've always used square heads screws because they don't slip like the ones at the box stores. I can't remember where I bought them from. I had a computer issue many years ago and lost most of that info. So, what do you use and where do you buy them.

Thanks

Mike
https://www.wwhardware.com/ultimate-squa...ws-8-scus8
"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
(10-30-2019, 10:25 AM)Mike 55 Wrote: Hi all,

As I start my way back into woodworking I need to stock my shop. I've always used square heads screws because they don't slip like the ones at the box stores. I can't remember where I bought them from. I had a computer issue many years ago and lost most of that info. So, what do you use and where do you buy them.

Thanks

Mike

McFeely's
I still use McFeelys, but be aware it isn't the company of years ago. Graingers bought them out, pretty much raised prices, lower service, and reduced products, then I guess they sold the firm to someone else. It's been a year or so since I bought anything, but at least they had what I wanted (that time) and the screws I got were the same good quality I had received in the past.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I get my shop supplies/screws from Baer Supply. Great selection, German made products which are very good. Wurth brand.
I've had an account there for 20 or so years. Commercial/retail. They cater to businesses, but sell to everyone.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(10-30-2019, 11:35 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I still use McFeelys, but be aware it isn't the company of years ago. Graingers bought them out, pretty much raised prices, lower service, and reduced products, then I guess they sold the firm to someone else. It's been a year or so since I bought anything, but at least they had what I wanted (that time) and the screws I got were the same good quality I had received in the past.

Thanks, this is where I bought from before. Since retiring my mind is not what it use to be.  
Laugh

I appreciate the info.

Mike
I have used quickscrews.com the last few times and they were great on both price and shipping.
I use star-bits when available.  I used to use drywall screws for assembly, but now I use construction screws.  Drywall screws are intentionally brittle and the head will snap off if you over-tighten them (presumably leaving the screw below the surface on drywall).
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I have had good results using dry wall screws with only an occasional twist-off using a 12v impact driver. A little more caution might be warranted if you are in a situation where a twist-off would be more serious.
I really like the torx head screws. They are readily available locally (without having to order them), they work just as well as the square drive, and they are a bit stronger than the drywall screws.
I go to Ace for most of my screws.  A little more than big box stores but they have good selection.  I use only square and star heads now.  I will not use dry wall screws just because I have broken a few.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.