Help with bandsaw fence
I have a Jet 18" bandsaw JWBS 18QT-3 that I bought new and has not seen a lot of use.  When I went to use it, I moved the fence to the correct location and lowered the handle to lock the fence but it did not lock.  I have never given the fence much thought as it always worked the way a fence should.  It did not appear to have any damage, but would not lock.  It seemed to have some front to back slop.  I tried to adjust it tighter with the rear hook adjustment and then the hex screws but no luck.  I then took the rear rail off and shimmed it outward with washers. This reduced the slop but still not enough to lock the fence.  I finally put a wood shim under the locking cam and it worked, but this is unsafe.

Any ideas what might be wrong and how to fix it?  I am baffled
Confused
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"
                                                                                                                        Winston Churchill
(10-31-2019, 11:20 PM)joemac Wrote: I have a Jet 18" bandsaw JWBS 18QT-3 that I bought new and has not seen a lot of use.  When I went to use it, I moved the fence to the correct location and lowered the handle to lock the fence but it did not lock.  I have never given the fence much thought as it always worked the way a fence should.  It did not appear to have any damage, but would not lock.  It seemed to have some front to back slop.  I tried to adjust it tighter with the rear hook adjustment and then the hex screws but no luck.  I then took the rear rail off and shimmed it outward with washers. This reduced the slop but still not enough to lock the fence.  I finally put a wood shim under the locking cam and it worked, but this is unsafe.

Any ideas what might be wrong and how to fix it?  I am baffled
Confused

Unsafe?  Mine's been like that since I can't even remember how long now.   Check and see if the little tab of slick plastic (can't think of the right name!) has fallen off the locking thingy.  Glue a new one on.
(11-01-2019, 06:23 AM)KC Wrote: Unsafe?  Mine's been like that since I can't even remember how long now.   Check and see if the little tab of slick plastic (can't think of the right name!) has fallen off the locking thingy.  Glue a new one on.

Yes it did fall off
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"
                                                                                                                        Winston Churchill
(11-01-2019, 01:57 PM)joemac Wrote: Yes it did fall off

That's almost certainly what's wrong with it. I've never bothered to glue one back on mine. I just stick a scrap under there when I use the fence.
You know what I did after my two bandsaw oem fences broke? I got a carter magnetic fence (newer version) A bit pricey yes, but Well worth the ability to actually get something done without being frustrated with the oem fence falling apart.
Now where is that chisel