Miter Saw Dust Hood Recommendations / Fast Cap or Rousseau?
(05-04-2020, 08:43 AM)Murray M Wrote: Here's the answer in the fullest, most complete, OCD manner possible:

https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7354669

With Murray M's recommendation I just bought the Rousseau 5000L -- the one with the LED lights around the opening. It is "reconditioned" but I can't see any evidence of having been used. It was $124 instead of $179--

Installed in way less than an hour using the supplied hardware on a Kobalt 12" CMS in holes that existed in the base. It works well collecting saw dust and fines with a dedicated 1hp DC running. Without the DC the ring light highlights a fair amount fines blowing back out of the hood. All in all it was money well spent for me.

Biggest negative is that there is no switch on the LED light.

Thanks Murray M for the review, happy camper here.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
I just finished a total miter station rebuild since buying a new saw.  I was going to get the Rousseau hood but decided against it mainly due to amount of space it takes up.  The opening is designed to allow for beveled cuts, which I never do anyway.   For me it would be better suited for a job site than my shop.

Easy to build a collector box which will work just fine -- if coupled to a big enough collector.  I'm going with a dedicated wall mount 1HP collector.  IMO a shop vac is not going to produce enough CFM's to remove the fine particles strewn into the air.

Since air quality is so important in a basement shop, I mentioned that.  For a few $'s more than the hood, you can purchase small collector.