Miter Saw Dust Hood Recommendations / Fast Cap or Rousseau?
I am in need of dust collection for my miter saw. I had recently had to down size from my garage shop which had a complete cyclone system (sold) and now have a temporary basement shop. Currently I do not have any dust control. I do plan to utilize some shop vac’s that I have and plan on using them for different tools. In some of my reviews of miter saw dust collection I came across these miters saw dust hoods. They seem to get pretty good reviews from the web but I thought I would ask here on the site to see if anyone has used them or has them. Basically, I only see these two brands and each has two models. Please let me know what your thoughts are on these units and if you have any experience with them. I have my currant saw on a portable SUV stand and was reviewing that I would not need a vacuum for these hoods. Any recommendations or experiences would be appreciated.

Fast Cap PRO
Fast Cap original
Rousseau 5000
Rousseau 5000L

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...vhcIjQE&adurl=

https://www.fastcap.com/product/chopshop-saw-hood

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...&ictx=3&uact=3

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...vhcInQE&adurl=
I have the Rousseau 5000 and it's difficult to emphasize how happy I am with it. I have it hooked up to my HF dust collector and other than a very occasional cleanup of the miter saw itself with my shop vac I haven't touched a broom and dust pan since I installed the Rousseau. I don't consider it a downside but it does take up quite a bit of room when setup. I have my miter saw station setup behind my 4' outfeed table for my TS which works out well for me. I admit that the Rousseau is on the high dollar side however, as I value my time, the 5000 has way more than paid for itself in eliminated broom and dust pan time.

EDIT: The 5000 has an outlet on the bottom of the hood that can be hooked up to a dust collector or a shop vac. IMO, the shop vac will work OK if the vac is located right at the hood. My dust collector hook-up has a run of about 8' and handles that with no issues. You will need to add a PVC 45° elbow to the saw dust port on your miter saw to enable the dust to be blown straight back into the rear of the hood. HTH
I built a plywood box around mine and hooked up to a small wall mounted DC with 4" port. It doesn't do a great job getting the sawdust into the bag, but it does an excellent job of keeping the dust in the box (and off the floor or in the air). I tried to copy my box off the commercial designs, but I would imagine the commercial designs work better than mine. I didn't have much luck with anything I tried to do with a shop vac and a SCMS. So, I think you're on the right track with one of the commercial hoods- I think that will really help. Not so sure about the vac vs DC, but doesn't hurt to try it w/ out the DC and see how it works.
Sweensdv2, have you used it without the DC on? I am wanting to not have to use one of my shop vacs, but if I have too I can, just checking how it may work without. I don’t have a lot of options as this is only short term and will be used in the field possibly as well down the road.

Did you consider the Fast cap hood and / or why did you get the Rousseau over the fast cap?

Ajkoontz, thanks for posting your experiences with your hood.
I too have the Rousseau 5000, for years now, hooked to my Oneida cyclone. I don’t know if any of the other models were available when I bought mine, but I bought it because it appears to work well for Rob Cosman. I’m very pleased with it, with one small complaint. When using it with my cyclone, the suction is so great that it causes the fabric around the area where the hose attaches to collapse, which of course shuts down everything. I’ve placed two short pieces of 2x4 inside the hood on each side of the port to keep it open.
We got a FastCap in one of the places I volunteer.   Not terribly impressed.
* Does not have a hook up for a dust collector
* Gets a of of blow-back since the front is open
* The connections seem to get in the way of the saw's fences

At my home shop, I just built one out of scrap plywood.  I bought some plastic hall runner and slit it and draped along the front edge, connected a 4" dust port at the bottom  and tilted two sides into it.
(11-01-2019, 06:21 PM)fall Wrote: Sweensdv2, have you used it without the DC on? I am wanting to not have to use one of my shop vacs, but if I have too I can, just checking how it may work without. I don’t have a lot of options as this is only short term and will be used in the field possibly as well down the road.

Did you consider the Fast cap hood and / or why did you get the Rousseau over the fast cap?

Actually there are many times when I will use the miter saw without turning on the DC. The hood will still capture all the sawdust when I do this. Next time I fire up the DC it sucks out the accumulated sawdust at the bottom of the hood. Instead of hooking the hood up to a DC/Shop Vac you could use it like the FastCap pictures show and place the hoods outlet into a bucket or cardboard box. The issue I see with that method is that you would constantly have to manually slap the outside of the dust hood to aid in funneling the sawdust into the dust hoods outlet area. That was pretty much the reasoning why I didn't go with the FastCap version.
We being woodworkers and we make stuff, I'm surprised one couldn't figure out a way to frame out for a large trash bag to catch the saw chips and heavy dust. One could even construct a way to use a shop vac with it. Toss the bag when it's full and reload.

Get a Dewalt- they have dust chutes. Mine works about 80-90%.
(11-02-2019, 09:10 AM)sweensdv2 Wrote: Actually there are many times when I will use the miter saw without turning on the DC.  The hood will still capture all the sawdust when I do this.  Next time I fire up the DC it sucks out the accumulated sawdust at the bottom of the hood.  Instead of hooking the hood up to a DC/Shop Vac you could use it like the FastCap pictures show and place the hoods outlet into a bucket or cardboard box.  The issue I see with that method is that you would constantly have to manually slap the outside of the dust hood to aid in funneling the sawdust into the dust hoods outlet area.  That was pretty much the reasoning why I didn't go with the FastCap version.

sweensdv2 Thanks for letting me know about using the hood with out the DC on . I like your insight on cleaning out the dust in the hood . I didn't think of that.

Thanks everyone for your feed back. I am thinking the Rousseau is the way to go.  
Here's the answer in the fullest, most complete, OCD manner possible:

https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7354669