Tell me about paint with primer
(11-04-2019, 10:20 AM)Cooler Wrote: I bought pre-primed moulding for my garage door from Lowes.  It is the only part of the garage paint job that has peeling paint.  Maybe some of it is "different stuff" but some of it is not really effective.
I was thinking about the hardy panels and such.    

I've bought LP Smart Side that comes pre-primed.  bought it, it sat for a week or so, finally installed it and it was well over a month before I got it painted.  been 7+ years and paint is in great shape.  I'd be surprised if I bought the siding within two weeks of it being primed.    It was proly closer to 2-3 months, at best, from being primed to being painted.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(11-04-2019, 08:40 AM)Cooler Wrote: I read that primer should be painted over within 2 weeks of coating.  So the pre-primed Hardi-board might have been compromised compared with fresh primer.

An accidental test:

I got some regular latex paint that dried on my hands and arms and it washed off in the shower.  (Behr)

I got some primer + paint on my hands and arms and it finally washed off after two showers and a good bit of scrubbing.

I got some straight primer on my hands and arms and it took four showers and a lot of scrubbing to get it off my skin.

That sold me on using first a primer and second a good paint (I used Behr Marquis paint & Zinsser 123)

This is the truth. Primer sticks WAY better than paint. Well worth doing primer.