Tell me about paint with primer
i want to repaint the trim on my house. It is all hardie board. When I painted it for the first time 8 years ago, I just used paint and didn't prime because the hardie board came pre primed.

Fast forward today and I see that a lot of the paint that they sell says it includes primer. The paint on my trim is in good shape, just a little faded. I assume I don't need to prime if the current paint is in good shape.

So do I need to buy paint with primer or just paint? Or does it even matter.

Thanks
Marketing hype. Is it better Yes does it replace primer No.
In this case it doesn't matter....I'm not even sure you can buy paint that doesn't claim to have primer in it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(11-03-2019, 08:24 AM)Robert Adams Wrote: Marketing hype. Is it better Yes does it replace primer No.

+1

A quick wash and a quick sand with 120-180 grit to give it some "tooth" so the new primer sticks and you should be good to go. Paint with primer in it doesn't really have primer in it. It has glue in it or an "adhesion promoter". Even if you buy paint with primer, you'll still know you have real primer between coats.

Primer is cheaper, use it to your advantage. It will fill any porous areas (hardi board is porous) and probably save you at least one coat of paint.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Paint is paint, primer is primer
Local Ace guy told me always prime for outdoors use.

Ed
You do not need to prime if the existing finish is holding well. Cleaning the surface thoroughly is more important in your case.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
I read that primer should be painted over within 2 weeks of coating.  So the pre-primed Hardi-board might have been compromised compared with fresh primer.

An accidental test:

I got some regular latex paint that dried on my hands and arms and it washed off in the shower.  (Behr)

I got some primer + paint on my hands and arms and it finally washed off after two showers and a good bit of scrubbing.

I got some straight primer on my hands and arms and it took four showers and a lot of scrubbing to get it off my skin.

That sold me on using first a primer and second a good paint (I used Behr Marquis paint & Zinsser 123)
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(11-04-2019, 08:40 AM)Cooler Wrote: I read that primer should be painted over within 2 weeks of coating.  So the pre-primed Hardi-board might have been compromised compared with fresh primer.
Primer you buy in the store, yes.  The preprimed wood, no.  Different stuff

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(11-04-2019, 09:13 AM)meackerman Wrote: Primer you buy in the store, yes.  The preprimed wood, no.  Different stuff

I bought pre-primed moulding for my garage door from Lowes.  It is the only part of the garage paint job that has peeling paint.  Maybe some of it is "different stuff" but some of it is not really effective.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.