Porter Cable DA250A pneumatic nailer
Exclamation 
I've had the subject 15ga finish nailer for over ten years and have used it to install a goodly, but not huge amount of trim in a couple of houses I've owned. 

The thing is jamming at every fire and as best I can tell needs a complete overhaul.  This is particularly disappointing as I've really not put that many nails through it.  Kinda turns me off of PC.

The overhaul kit is about $80.

New 15 gauge angled nailers start about $125 from Amazon. 

Does it make any sense at all to rebuild the one I have?  Unfortunately, my future usage will be fairly light, so I'm trying to minimize the outlay.

If new, what the best bang per buck? There is a Chaiwanese 15 ga nailrer that looks exactly like mine for under $80. Does that make any sense for my use case?

thanks
chris
I have the same finish nailer as you but I couldn't find it, so I bought a Performax 16 finish nailer and it did about 200 shots through it and then nothing It is like the trigger won't engage when the food is pressed so it can fire. I am wondering if I should take it apart or not. I do not have a jamb.

I have since found the PC 15 gage nailer so I can switch back but I kind of like the 16 gage nailer for some things  so I will be checking this post to see how things turn out.

If the performax nailer needs work after a couple of months I guess I would question the purchase of a cheap one again. And if the PC needs repairs I think I would probably bit the bullet and get one from a well known brand that is used in construction. From experience I have found that a lot of things are not made to be repaired. You can get a rebuild kit, but something, not in the kit is also a problem.

It will be interesting to read what others have to saw.

Tom
I have the same gun. Most likely older but shot more nails.
You can't expect *0-rings* to stay good in a gun that has sat most of it's life. O-rings do deteriorate, whether used or not.

I'd go with an o-ring kit, not the full rebuild kit. Chances are it has one leaking inside on the piston, the one that pushes the piston back up.

I rebuild/fix all of my guns when they are in need.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

PS......lift the driver latch up and make sure the driver isn't dry. They will stick down if to dry in the channel it rides in.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I have three PC nail guns, plus two Paslode and most are 20 years old.  All have had light use but like someone else mentioned "O" rings go bad.  There is plenty of competition in the Dallas area so most of the nailers have received professional attention.  IMHO your PC nailer is probably as good as what you can buy today; it just needs some TLC.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
All the o-rings were changed within the last 2 years. The nailer is jamming and double firing.

I've decided to replace it with something else. What's a decent nailer for a non-professional user?
chris
(11-03-2019, 07:44 PM)doobes Wrote: All the o-rings were changed within the last 2 years. The nailer is jamming and double firing.

I've decided to replace it with something else. What's a decent nailer for a non-professional user?

I've always wondered about Ridgid, and the lifetime warranty.  Don't know anyone that has one.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(11-03-2019, 12:08 PM)doobes Wrote: I've had the subject 15ga finish nailer for over ten years and have used it to install a goodly, but not huge amount of trim in a couple of houses I've owned. 

The thing is jamming at every fire and as best I can tell needs a complete overhaul.  This is particularly disappointing as I've really not put that many nails through it.  Kinda turns me off of PC.

The overhaul kit is about $80.

New 15 gauge angled nailers start about $125 from Amazon. 

Does it make any sense at all to rebuild the one I have?  Unfortunately, my future usage will be fairly light, so I'm trying to minimize the outlay.

If new, what the best bang per buck? There is a Chaiwanese 15 ga nailrer that looks exactly like mine for under $80. Does that make any sense for my use case?

I had 3 PC nailers once. The framing nailer was the first to go. Too dangerous to use because it would double shoot. I kept it for several years as a backup to my Hitachi framers. Threw it out one day when cleaning the truck. Had a 2" brad nailer that worked well for ten years 
until the seals went. The allen screws were on so tight I broke the wrench trying to remove them.This nail gun sits on a shelf waiting for someone to give it to if they want the aggravation of trying to repair it Today I was using a 1/4" staple gun which I have been using for the last week or so. Heard a hissing sound. Removed air line ,unscrewed the connector and put new tape on the threads. Installed the connector and heard a click sound as I tightened it. Turns out the casting broke around the connector so the last of my PC guns was shot. 
Not much luck with PC nail guns. 
mike
(11-03-2019, 09:04 PM)Admiral Wrote: I've always wondered about Ridgid, and the lifetime warranty.  Don't know anyone that has one.

Been thinking the same thing. They are about $10 more than the others, but that lifetime warranty appeals to me.
chris
(11-03-2019, 07:44 PM)doobes Wrote: All the o-rings were changed within the last 2 years. The nailer is jamming and double firing.

Anybody try a Harbor Freight 15/16 ga. gun? For non-professional use HF might be fine. I have an HF fine wire stapler that works as well as I can ask. I did try an HF framing gun that I couldn't get to sink 3 1/4" nails fully when toenailing so I returned it but that was probably 2-3 generations of guns ago.