Hardiboard type stuff vs premium vinyl?
(11-04-2019, 11:23 AM)vernonator Wrote: One word of warning. If you go Hardie make SURE they install it correctly. As in prime all the cut ends with the supplied primer, correct reveal, waterproofing under plank joints, etc. This applies to the hardie trimboards as well. We have them and when they were installed they did NOT prime the cut ends and after 14 years virtually every piece of trim on the house was swelling, waterlogged and peeling paint. This also impacted any planks that were exposed to water/snow/ice - think valleys or walls that terminated into the roof line. Had to replace all the trim and about 15% of the siding this summer by a contractor that I KNOW did it right (was here the whole time to see them work).

If installed correctly it holds up well - the only reasnb we needed to paint even after 15yrs was that we replaced so much trime/siding. The paint on the unaffected areas was rock solid with very little fading.

+1

And use the approved nails. I see a lot of black streaks under the incorrect nails because they react to the cement composition. Also read the warranty in case they won't warranty it unless it was installed by an "approved" installer.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Just to add. If you do go with Hardie siding spend the extra and get the prepainted stuff. Basically all you have to do is paint the cut ends and it's a much better finish then you can do in the field.
(11-03-2019, 05:22 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: LOML has decreed "minimum maintenance" for new house.  Single story, siding over faux rock exterior.

Framers are supposed to start tomorrow so we have a little time to make our final decision so I'm looking for experience with cement board and the better vinyl siding. 

What brands do you like?  Any to avoid?  

What's your experience?
Confused

I've installed vinyl(premium) and Hardi plank siding. Both are fine after 15 years.

Repaired sheet Hardi board(
No
No). 

Currently have insulated steel siding on present house. Also some insulated hard plastic molded(to look like cedar shakes) accent siding. This siding is probably 30+ years old. Had to repaint garage wall where evergreen hedge scraped off the paint. Rest of the house gets a wash every two years.
(11-04-2019, 03:14 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: I've installed vinyl(premium) and Hardi plank siding. Both are fine after 15 years.

No
No). 

Currently have insulated steel siding on present house. Also some insulated hard plastic molded(to look like cedar shakes) accent siding. This siding is probably 30+ years old. Had to repaint garage wall where evergreen hedge scraped off the paint. Rest of the house gets a wash every two years.

Watch out with that insulated plastic and vinyl siding. For whatever reason, condensation between it and sheathing can cause old problems. Condensation also forms in the inside of any siding but it tends to run out, particularly if you have a house wrap. For some reason, it doesn't always run out of the insulated stuff.

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(11-04-2019, 03:14 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: I've installed vinyl(premium) and Hardi plank siding. Both are fine after 15 years.

No
No). 

I see a lot vinyl and plastic Fake Shake on the Carolina coast. A bit pricey but it looks great.

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

I've used alot of it.

Important to follow the manufacturers recommendations.

Do not attempt to put directly to studs.  I has to have a plywood and housewrap base.

I put a strip of caulk on the edges before butting the next board.
(11-04-2019, 08:05 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Mold? It may be but it's probably algae. That can happen on any siding, particularly on the north or shaded sides. The nice thing about premium vinyl siding is that it washes right off. Vinyl is one of the few sidings that can be power washed without worrying about loss of paint and it's the easiest to clean.

Oh it's mold, black mold. The algae is down at the lake. If you want vinyl siding on a lake house, just drive down the lake roads (water front homes) and look for the green algae. Those will be vinyl sided. Some of the older (40-50) wood sided/painted houses will show algae also.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

They use hardie on all the new homes here and it looks bad on 70% of them because I'm sure it isn't installed right.

As you drive by the homes when the sun is at the right angle, you can see the bulges and crooked warps and gaps- which I'm sure happens when it heats and cools down. Some boards look as if they may come loose soon.

I have the heavy vinyl and though it looks good as new many years later. I never have to paint and that was my goal. My second choice would be hardie for sure.
Seems to me from reading the entire thread that the installer matters more than choosing Hardi or vinyl.
Easy decision; cement board, hands down.

Doug