Hinges - Need Help
Given catalog hinge dimensions (total hinge width), how does determine what size is needed for a given thickness of wood (edge?)

How does one determine how strong a hinge is?

Given enough strength, how long should a hinge be?

Think of hinges for a tool or toy chest.

Thanks for your help !!!!
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
For a toy box or tool box, I would use the torsion hinges from Rockler.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(11-03-2019, 09:47 PM)cputnam Wrote: Given catalog hinge dimensions (total hinge width), how does determine what size is needed for a given thickness of wood (edge?)

Given enough strength, how long should a hinge be?

Think of hinges for a tool or toy chest.

Thanks for your help !!!!

I've used piano hinges for a toy box. Bill's suggestion of torsion hinges sounds like a good idea. I 'm not positive what they are , do a search.
mike
IIRC torsion hinges are used for toy boxes to prevent lid slamming and smashing little fingers. Hinges provide easy-open. stay-open, slow but easy closing.

This might help:

https://www.rockler.com/learn/selecting-...t-hardware
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Thanks for suggesting torsion hinges. I have some in stock. It appears as though at least one hinge has failed on the 1st toy chest in the than 6 years. The grandkids are old enough to get out of the chest if they climb in and supposedly smart enough to keep fingers out of the way - especially of used with a stay open. I should have stated that up front.

Still does not address how to buy hinges given the less than helpful measurements.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I guess it depends on many factors.  If you put hinges  on a toy chest, they really need very little strength - when the hinge is closed it is supporting no weight, and as you open it ,  it only has to carry the weight of the top in compression - which even the tiniest of hinges can do, no matter how thin.  The length of the hinge will help resist twisting, so longer would be better, though I have never seen any ratio of length of a piece to length of a top.   It is likely that if you bought a 3/4" long hinge, and mounted two of them on a 4 foot long top, you would have issues with twisting,   though they would probably easily work with a top that was 18 inches.

Now, if you were making hinges for a cabinet door, or a secretary bookshelf, the hinge will have a totally different set of stresses.  As you open the door, the door will have to resist the tension force of gravity at the top hinge, and some gravity, but more likely compression at the bottom hinge, since the hinge will have to support the weight of the door. Even when closed, if it not rubbing on the bottom of the frame, that means that the hinge is carrying the weight of the door.   You have the same issues with length - longer means less likely that the door will twist.    

In addition to the hinge, you have to consider the size of the screw.  If you used a 1/2 inch screw to install a door hinge,  I am pretty sure the door hinge would not fail, but it will probably pull out of the frame.

So my guess is that you size hinges by eye, if it looks right, it will probably work, especially for hinges that open up.  For hinges that open out, and hold more weight,  I would go beefier.  For screws,  I don't have any suggestions, other than that longer and thicker are better, especially for hinges that open out.
(11-03-2019, 09:47 PM)cputnam Wrote: Given catalog hinge dimensions (total hinge width), how does determine what size is needed for a given thickness of wood (edge?)

(Experience and common sense.)

Given enough strength, how long should a hinge be?...

(Long enough to provide a sufficient number of screws to handle the loads involved.)
Wood is good.