Gigantic Log
Wink 
Hello,  
I have a gigantic log that I would like to cut disk's from.  I live in Valparaiso, IN and its currently in my shop. I really do not have a good way to transport it somewhere, but if it came to it I can figure that out.  Does anyone have any idea how I can get slices from this?  Should I rent a huge chainsaw?  I cannot figure out how to add a photo, it tells me the file size is too large. 1000k is maximum.  The log I have is 3 feet in diameter. It weighs about 150-200 lbs.  So not super easy to move around.

https://ibb.co/F6V2Vp3  photo is here.
I would look around for a bandsaw mill guy. It will be much cheaper if you take the log to him

They should be able to cut slices most  any thickness

(11-03-2019, 10:38 PM)bmich Wrote: Hello,  
I have a gigantic log that I would like to cut disk's from.  I live in Valparaiso, IN and its currently in my shop. I really do not have a good way to transport it somewhere, but if it came to it I can figure that out.  Does anyone have any idea how I can get slices from this?  Should I rent a huge chainsaw?  I cannot figure out how to add a photo, it tells me the file size is too large. 1000k is maximum.  The log I have is 3 feet in diameter. It weighs about 150-200 lbs.  So not super easy to move around.

[Image: s-l1600.jpg]
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Bandsaw mills are set up for ripping, not crosscutting.

I'd check with rental places for saw with a long bar.

Check with chainsaw dealers to see if they know someone with a long bar that might do some custom clutting.

I've cut logs that big with a 20" blade, cutting from each side, then cleaned up with belt sander.

Good luck!
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(11-03-2019, 10:38 PM)bmich Wrote: Hello,  

I'm assuming you haven't used a chainsaw a lot. I would contact a tree trimming company. They have the saws and the skill to cut your log up. 
mike
They also have sharp saws. I'm not sure t gat the local tool rental would.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

I would not recommend renting a chain saw with a 3 foot bar unless you are used to that size saw.   I would also suggest a tree company for this.  If this log is not dry, suggest waiting and sealing the ends to help prevent splits.  It will take a long time to dry and I would expect splits.   Roly
Awesome, thanks for the tips. I will reach out to a few tree companies. I am not used to using a long bar chainsaw and I would rather leave that up to a professional. I am going to seal both ends with Anchorseal and go from there. I read that latex paint will also work to seal the ends.
(11-03-2019, 11:56 PM)Bob10 Wrote: [Image: s-l1600.jpg]
 my wife and I were laughing about something like this.  But yea, sure bring it over.. Ill supply a case of beer.
Looks like it is taller than it is wide... an 18" bar cutting from both sides will work.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15