Easy carbide tools?
are they worth the investment for bowl and platter work?
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
(11-05-2019, 02:01 AM)stoppy Wrote: are they worth the investment for bowl and platter work?

I used them almost all the time for hogging off wood until I need to use my gouges for the final few cuts.  Bowls and boxes and platters and well everything.

Plus I would not get the EZ carbide tools since John in S&S sells them way cheaper and you can make your own handles to just to shape your hands.  Mine I do pattern them after EZ wood tools handle since I can either use the end where it goes up against the stop or in the middle it handles either way well. 
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I agree with Arlin. Johns tools are good quality at a reasonable price. Way better than Easy Tools.
(11-05-2019, 02:01 AM)stoppy Wrote: are they worth the investment for bowl and platter work?
If you're competent cutting with edged tools, you'll seldom use them.  I have mine, and the scrapers I bought, on the farthest tool rack, so the ones I use most often are within easy reach.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthrea...id=7327453
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
You can invest a lot less by making your own. 10 or 12.00 for the cutters, whatever some steel bar stock costs, a copper coupler for a ferrule and then the time to drill and tap for the cutterhead screw. Use your new tool to turn a handle for itself. My shop made tools cut just as well as the EWT branded tools that Arlin lent me some time ago.

I too, purchased the easy tools first, however, I later learned how to use each cutting tool properly and now my easy tools see very little use. Although sometimes I will reach for it for an unusual need.

Each person has their own motivation and needs, however, I encourage you to try to learn how to use a skew, a bowl gauge, etc. Personally, I have found that clearing out the bowl's inside is so much fast and cleaner, using a bowl gouge, I have never looked back. Plus, if you learn how to use traditional tools (in the future) you will find the finished cuts require less sanding. I admit, it took me a while to learn the bowl gouge, but I highly recommend it. It's my favorite tool to use on the lathe.
(11-05-2019, 12:29 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I used them almost all the time for hogging off wood until I need to use my gouges for the final few cuts.  Bowls and boxes and platters and well everything.

Plus I would not get the EZ carbide tools since John in S&S sells them way cheaper and you can make your own handles to just to shape your hands.  Mine I do pattern them after EZ wood tools handle since I can either use the end where it goes up against the stop or in the middle it handles either way well. 
Yes
Could we see a link to those tools? I'm not sure who John in S&S is?
Now where is that chisel
Smashedfinger, here's the link:

https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthrea...id=7327453
EWT are just glorified scrapers. Don't allow the finesse like a gouge. I very rarely use the EWT anymore.
VH07V