Construction Adhesive
(11-06-2019, 10:30 AM)brianwelch Wrote: Having taken up a layer of underlayment that I meticulously installed decades ago with ring shanked nails on a 6" grid...I might suggest not using construction adhesive...any more difficult to remove than that might involve incendiary assistance...

+1

I just finished installing oak flooring in our downstairs. The last area was nailed luan with laminate over it. I pulled up the luan underlayment and must have pulled a muscle doing it. Still sore.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(11-06-2019, 06:20 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Nail it down. Don't forget to use a latex primer on your underlayment. It's cheap and goes on easy and will greatly aid with adhesion.

I have not heard of painting underlayment. I'm way past my prime so I'm not up to some new ways. How does painting the underlayment help with adhesion. I have done peel and stick only 3 times . No problems with adhesion on bare Luan.
mike
(11-06-2019, 07:35 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Just about every component of a home should be installed with the understanding it may eventually need to be removed without too much damage to the home.

When I was an insurance adjuster, everytime I went to a high end home that had hardwood floors in the kitchen and water damage, the original builder always ran the hardwood under the cabinets.  Stupidest thing I ever saw.  Most times cabinets and granite had to be pulled to get to the warped hardwood.  Slab foundations.

Stupid.

Builders don't give a rats @$$ about maintenence after the sale.

No
(11-06-2019, 09:44 PM)mike4244 Wrote: I have not heard of painting underlayment. I'm way past my prime so I'm not up to some new ways. How does painting the underlayment help with adhesion. I have done peel and stick only 3 times . No problems with adhesion on bare Luan.
mike

It's not a new way. It's usually on the directions of Peel and Stick Vinyl

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(11-06-2019, 11:04 PM)chrisntam Wrote: When I was an insurance adjuster, everytime I went to a high end home that had hardwood floors in the kitchen and water damage, the original builder always ran the hardwood under the cabinets.  Stupidest thing I ever saw.  Most times cabinets and granite had to be pulled to get to the warped hardwood.  Slab foundations.

Stupid.

Builders don't give a rats @$$ about maintenence after the sale.

No

I don't understand that either. I inspected a large home with vinyl plank "floating floor" in the kitchen. The directions on all floating floor recommend that cabinets are not set on the plank. Vinyl expands and contracts a lot. This particular floor was buckling and splitting at the seams because of it.

... Kizar Sosay