Moxon OTT, but oh so nice feature :)
Here is an overhead of my Moxon vise in the closed position ..

[Image: Moxon-spring2.jpg]

When I loosen the wheels now, the jaw automatically opens about 30mm ...

[Image: Moxon-spring3.jpg]

I was intrigued by a video tip from David Barron where he added a spring to the inside of his chop ...

[Image: Moxon-spring1.jpg]

His video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_conti...k0pFLmS9Tk

... and decided to try this out on my Moxon. I had a couple of springs lying around which, fortunately were the ideal size and also compressible (they are triangular, where David's are parallel. He needed to modify the chop with a recess to permit it to close up. I did not need this).

[Image: Moxon-spring5.jpg]

[Image: Moxon-spring4.jpg]

The wonder of this system is that it is effortless to use, to open and close. No wracking on screws when opening any longer. Effortless! Loosen one side, and slip out the work piece. Reposition. Tighten one screw ...

[Image: Moxon-spring6.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Elegant solution to a problem I have with my Moxon! Thanks for posting Derek!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Thanks Tony. It's a great upgrade. I'm surprised that it has not been noticed before - apparently, David posted his video a few years ago!

Here are a couple of extra photos. I attached one end with epoxy ...

[Image: Spring1.jpg]

[Image: Spring2.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com