Filter advice for shop-built air scrubber?
I think I'll modify my design to include three 20x20 filter arrays; one on top of the machine and two on the sides, to ensure I can get ample air flow with the 20x20 size filter in a higher MERV rating.
Semper fi,
Brad

(11-12-2019, 12:09 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I think I'll modify my design to include three 20x20 filter arrays; one on top of the machine and two on the sides, to ensure I can get ample air flow with the 20x20 size filter in a higher MERV rating.

That would probably work.  I did a down and dirty setup with the filter in the wall and the box fan sandwiching it.  The fiberglass filter was added for two reasons: First to extend the life of the Filtrete filter, and to protect the motor from lint build up. 

Since you are using a blower you can use with ducts or multiple vents.   If you are going to paint, schedule any dust generating operations until after the paint dries and run the filter for several hours before painting.

My setup was for a dark room (no longer used due to the digital revolution).  Dust was a real issue.  I created a mini clean room by blowing fresh filtered air in and allowing it to vent out.  I always turned on the fan before opening the door to the darkroom.  That way all the dust would blow out of the room when I opened the door.  It worked remarkably well. 

I also had a shop vac hose run through a hole in the wall so that the vacuum was external to the room when cleaning up.  Of course the blower fan would have to be on before the vacuum was started up or it would have sucked dust into the room.

That same clean room strategy would work well for a paint booth.  My old dark room is too small for that.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Another question about filters:

The deeper the filter, the better the surface area, and then, air flow, right?  As in a 2" deep is better than 1" and 4" is better than 2", right?
Semper fi,
Brad

The deeper filter will have much more surface area, hence more pores for air passage, and allow more air to pass. It will also (presumably) take longer to clog and then have to be replaced.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
4" deep filters ordered.  I'll put pictures up once I start building it.
Semper fi,
Brad

Merv 8 is not fine enough for the fine dust. its the stuff you don't see that you have to be worried about.

I built a homemade one with 3 filters before fan and one at the exhaust. I put a Merv 8 first and then increase to Merv 10 and then 12. the one on the exhaust is a Merv 8 as well to help distribute the air.
War Eagle!
I bought MERV 11 filters for mine.
Semper fi,
Brad

(11-15-2019, 07:31 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I bought MERV 11 filters for mine.

When you get it done, pics with a narrative and dimensions would be great, I'm thinking of the same thing....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Just a thought. You will already have breathed a lot of the dust before the filters pick it up. If the dust affects you- you should wear a mask anyway.

On the end of the shop, I added a small room for spraying and sanding. I installed a 2,000 cfm blower to exhaust the dust and paint. When the blower is running, the air drawn from the rest of the shop comes through the doorway and keeps the shop free of dust. I run it also when welding.
I can't say it keeps all of the dust off of me while sanding, but it catches most of it while the heavy dust falls through the sanding tables diamond mesh. I've never felt the need for a mask, but I have that option when sanding the more dangerous woods.
Admiral,

This will be thre first video build I plan on making for my soon-to-be YouTube channel.

Daddo,

I wear a mask and am adding better dust collection to all my tools. This is just one step in addressing fine dust.
Semper fi,
Brad