Antique wooden planes questions

Here’s a pic of one I kept in the house. It is a specialized molding plane. It is the best one of his collection.
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.

Another view showing the maker.
Jim

There is a good chance
(11-14-2019, 03:47 PM)stoppy Wrote: Another view showing the maker.

That is a plow plane. do you have the wedge any any of the irons for it ?
Called a Moving Fillister Plane.  
Cool 
This is called a Plough Plane...

usually this went with a tongue plane, to make Tongue & Groove joints...

Not too bad, for an 1864 model....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
That is a screw-arm plow plane by Young & McMaster of Auburn, NY. They were in business from 1838 to 1843. The mark is the "B2" marking, and is listed as "Rare" meaning from 100-250 examples are known.
It looks like one of the wooden adjusting nuts is chipped. That shouldn't affect the plane's usability, unless it won't tighten properly.
As someone else mentioned, it seems to be missing the irons and wedge. There would have been a set of irons from 1/8" to 1/2" in width to plow grooves of their designated size.
Rick W
(11-14-2019, 07:24 PM)RickW Wrote: That is a screw-arm plow plane by Young & McMaster of Auburn, NY. They were in business from 1838 to 1843. The mark is the "B2" marking, and is listed as "Rare" meaning from 100-250 examples are known.
It looks like one of the wooden adjusting nuts is chipped. That shouldn't affect the plane's usability, unless it won't tighten properly.
As someone else mentioned, it seems to be missing the irons and wedge. There would have been a set of irons from 1/8" to 1/2" in width to plow grooves of their designated size.
Rick W
That’s because I took a lousy picture. The wedge is in the plane.  And now I finally know what that box of nine tapered “knives” is.  I’ll take pics and post for confirmation.
Jim

There is a good chance

Does the number 25 stamped into the wedge have any meaning?
Jim

There is a good chance
Nice score. Typically, when you find one of these in the wild the irons are lost except for the one in the plane.
A plow plane is the most fun way to make grooves for drawer or box bottoms. You should start by making a fancy box to keep the plane and irons together, and use this to groove for the bottom.

A plow will not cut across the grain very easily. You could knife two scoring lines across the grain the width of the iron you plan to use (or saw two parallel kerfs with a back saw) and plow the waste out, but it is easier to use a skewed iron dado plane. Google images will have examples of those.
I will be very carefully cleaning and restoring this plane for use.  Looked online and one like it sold for $195 two years ago. At this point not interested in selling, far more interested in learning how to use it.
Jim

There is a good chance
(11-18-2019, 08:40 AM)stoppy Wrote: I will be very carefully cleaning and restoring this plane for use.  Looked online and one like it sold for $195 two years ago. At this point not interested in selling, far more interested in learning how to use it.

using the plane should not damage it. its in good shape you should not have to do much to the plane the irons could use a little attention. the 25 could mean its a 1/4 inch width iron.  jerry