Drill Press Vibration Issue...
I have a HF 10" drill press that has more vibration than I'd like.  With belts off, the motor runs smoothly.  There are 3 pulley assemblies.  The center assembly pivots, but also is loose enough to have some side-to-side flop...like the assembly flops not parallel with the other 2 assemblies.  Could the vibration be coming from that or is that flop in the design?  I'll try to post pics.
[Image: c1d4ebd3-700b-4529-9611-36ff45582c73-ori...fit=bounds][Image: 2de9131d-6e06-4041-83c2-7ba01cefa9e6-ori...fit=bounds]
You've added link belts. Did it run the same (vibrate) with the original belts?
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

As a test, you might try reassembling your link belts into one long belt that bypasses the center pulley and see if the vibration goes away.
Are you sure you're tightening the belts enough when you change pulleys? Once tightened, there shouldn't be any "slop" in the center pulley.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(11-12-2019, 01:20 PM)Ohio Mike Wrote: As a test, you might try reassembling your link belts into one long belt that bypasses the center pulley and see if the vibration goes away.

That's a super way to isolate the pulleys!

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
If the pulleys aren't running true, you'll never get it to run smooth.

Runout to the shaft, V grooves that aren't true.

The center pulley would have a spring loader for a smoother run.

Light weight machines are more subject to even slight vibrations.

My vote is for poor shaft to pulley fitting and poorly machined and light weight pulleys.
Ya...Looking at the pulleys spinning, I can see some wobble in the front spindle pulley...that can't be good.  Can I actually eliminate that center pulley?
Yes. That would eliminate some of your speeds though. May have to turn one of the other pulleys upside down I think? Hafta mull that one over here.....
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

The spindle pulley is usually a type of (metric?) morse taper fit. You could always try and pull it loose and turn it a little at a time, and if you're lucky, find a sweet spot without a wobble.

You can do without the center pulley but changing speeds would require a different sized belt each time.
I have a benchtop radial arm drill press. It's always had a vibration, link belt didn't help.  Replaced the cone pulley on the motor with a decent quality single pulley and vibration went away. At least I know where the problem lies, not sure how to balance the motor cone pulley. Considering a VFD and 3 phase motor for lower speeds, don't know if the drill press is worth it.