Speaking of Hinges
When I made the counter in my van, I used one set of bright brass sewing table hinges.  I am remaking the counter and now need four sets.  The ones I bought in 2016 are 2-3/4” x 1-3/8” x 1/8”.  They are quite sturdy with no wiggle.  

I couldn’t find any info from my original order, so I went to google.  I ordered a Selby hinge that looked identical in the photos and had the same L x W dimensions.  It is crappy—1/16” thick, loose jointed, apparently stamped with no smoothing.

Does anyone have a source for high quality sewing table hinges?
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
I did a search for sewing table hinges at ball and ball and  horton brasses - they both have high quality hinges, but I did not see anything - though there might be another name for it .

PS would something like this work? https://whitechapel-ltd.com/244h37.html
From that photo, it looks like a sewing table hinge, same dimensions as mine, just squarer. The devil is in the details on the back side, but I can call tomorrow. Thanks!

Sewing table hinge opens to exactly 180° and no farther with a flat surface. They close completely onto themselves.

EDIT: Counter hinges are for bar counters. They open flat, but only lift to a bit over 90 degrees. They don’t fold back onto themselves.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

(11-12-2019, 08:37 PM)MsNomer Wrote: From that photo, it looks like a sewing table hinge, same dimensions as mine, just squarer.  The devil is in the details on the back side, but I can call tomorrow. Thanks!

Sewing table hinge opens to exactly 180° and no farther with a flat surface.  They close completely onto themselves.

EDIT:  Counter hinges are for bar counters.  They open flat, but only lift to a bit over 90 degrees.  They don’t fold back onto themselves.

Have you seen these from Rockler? Rockler has them listed as sewing machine hinges rather than calling them sewing table hinges...maybe that helps with a different search term to try. The single pin hinges say they're 1/16" thick so that may be similar to what you've already tried and described as "crappy". The twin pin hinges looks heavier in the photos but their technical specs don't give the thickness.

Rockler - twin pin sewing machine hinges
Rockler - single pin sewing machine hinges
(11-13-2019, 11:50 AM)MyKidsDad Wrote: Have you seen these from Rockler? Rockler has them listed as sewing machine hinges rather than calling them sewing table hinges...maybe that helps with a different search term to try. The single pin hinges say they're 1/16" thick so that may be similar to what you've already tried and described as "crappy". The twin pin hinges looks heavier in the photos but their technical specs don't give the thickness.

Rockler - twin pin sewing machine hinges
Rockler - single pin sewing machine hinges

Just noticed the dimensions for the twin pin hinges are included in the installation instructions. It shows them being 9/64" thick.
(11-13-2019, 11:52 AM)MyKidsDad Wrote: Just noticed the dimensions for the twin pin hinges are included in the installation instructions. It shows them being 9/64" thick.

Also appears to be a number of similar looking options on Amazon if you search for table flip hinge, 180 degree hinge, or butler tray hinge. The hinges available on Amazon seem to commonly be 2.5 mm (0.1") or 3 mm (just shy of 1/8").
I looked through the Amazon listings—ironically, their prices seemed too good to be true. The Rockler got some negative reviews reminiscent of this Selby POS.

Funny how google can give you this today and that tomorrow: today I stumbled across Vintage Hardware with a hinge that may be the real deal. Ordered and fingers crossed.

Thanks to all of you for helping look.
Carolyn

Well, the Vintage Hardware hinges were the best of the lot, but still 1/16” and crappy. I gave up and decided to use them.

THEN, I found my original order from Woodworkers Hardware, February 2016. Same Selby part number as the crappy ones I had returned. With little hope, I called WWH and told Paul my dilemma. He said he has worked there since 2012, is familiar with that hinge, and knows it hasn’t changed. I ordered the four sets, but asked him to verify before completing the order. He called me back a few minutes later—yep, 1/8” thick leaves, square sides. They came today and are indeed identical to the original.

The only thing I can figure is a lot of counterfeiting. Selby H116P is not necessarily Selby H116P, but those at WWH are the real deal and Paul is a super nice guy.

Fortunately, the real deal is a hair larger than the counterfeit, so my recesses can easily be enlarged.
Carolyn