Old Brown Glue
What makes this product so attractive since it's quite a bit more that similar glues? 
Confused I've been contemplating trying it but, not sure exactly with what applications it's best used. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jim
(11-15-2019, 01:41 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: What makes this product so attractive since it's quite a bit more that similar glues? 
Confused  I've been contemplating trying it but, not sure exactly with what applications it's best used. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jim

It's particularly useful when you want a longer working time than is provided by a hot glue, for example when veneering curved surfaces, or in a complex glueup.  You are buying a fresh product with a careful level of quality control, so it should behave the same way each time.  It is also made in smaller quantities than most glue, so the costs wind up being higher.  To stay in business he must charge a bit more simply for that.

Yes it costs a bit more than other glue, but it's still a rather small cost increase per piece of furniture -- as long as you are getting something you want from it.
The advantage I hear most often is that it is reversible.  It has a definite shelf life, so you can't leave it for extended periods of time.

You can wash it out of clothing.

It costs more.

https://www.woodworkersjournal.com/advan...hide-glue/
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I had a complicated glue up and used it for the long open time. The reversible feature also came in handy; but truthfully I'm not sure it's any different than the Titebond liquid hide glue.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
According to Popular Woodworking:

"Old Brown Glue is a mixture of animal collagen and urea with no other additives. Titebond Liquid Hide Wood Glue lists cyanoguanidine (used in the manufacture of plastics and pharmaceuticals) and ammonium thiocyanate (used chiefly as a herbicide and in textile printing)."

As others have said it has a long open time.  I find it's easy to clean up, doesn't interfere with finishes and is reversible.  I feel more confident knowing I can undo a glue joint if needed.  I use regular hot hide glue too and like it for quick rub joints like attaching drawer runners and guides.

Lonnie
Where are you located?  Maybe someone who uses OBG or regular hot hide glue could let you check it out.

Lonnie
Regarding shelf life (18 months), put the glue bottle in the fridge, and you can extend its lifetime  to 2 years or more.

But don't use it for hammer veneering or rubbed joints, or as a gap filler. It is not as strong as yellow glue, so I use it for smaller cabinets and boxes; yellow glue for tables and chairs, just in case.

Simon
(11-15-2019, 01:41 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: What makes this product so attractive since it's quite a bit more that similar glues? 
Confused  I've been contemplating trying it but, not sure exactly with what applications it's best used. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jim

Thanks everyone for a plethora of information.  After 30+ years of WW, I guess it's time to expand my knowledge and use with glues etc. I've been using contact cement for hammer veneering on formica and veneer glue on wood veneer. Just Saying!.
Hide glue (liquid or hot) may not be as strong as titebond but since both are stronger than the wood the difference is academic.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski