New Popular Woodworking Magazine
Well, this article is interesting...urging us to parts out vintage planes...

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/proje...andplanes/
(03-27-2020, 05:48 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Well, this article is interesting...urging us to parts out vintage planes...

I think Rob Cosman may have developed that trick to make dowels for his wood hinge boxes, but I cannot imagine that anyone else has done it. Absolutely makes my head spin to watch him do that!
Some planes, not necessarily vintage, deserve this kind of treatment. I should've said plane-like objects.

Simon
(03-27-2020, 09:31 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Some planes, not necessarily vintage, deserve this kind of treatment. I should've said plane-like objects.

Simon
Can't dispute that, but not all readers of the article will make that distinction.  The article includes a picture of a Record lever cap.
Looks like he parted out a perfectly good plane. Those totes on the sanding jig look brand new. The article would have had more impact had a lot of those parts been recovered from otherwise unrestorable planes.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(03-28-2020, 05:41 PM)AHill Wrote: Looks like he parted out a perfectly good plane.  Those totes on the sanding jig look brand new.  The article would have had more impact had a lot of those parts been recovered from otherwise unrestorable planes.

Let's put things into perspective.

"Later comes the unsettling question: What do you do with your old handplane – the one that never quite cut the way you wanted it to? Or what about that just “plain awful” plane you picked up at a garage sale or on eBay, or the one that fell off a bench and broke? I’ve had quite a few planes over the years that fell into each of these categories, and rather than toss them or sell them off I’ve been able to make very productive use of many of the parts."

With these words, I could only assume Jeff, a chair maker skillful in hand tools, was using something that might look good, but performed poorly (at least by his standards). Of course, it might also be true that he did not have a bad plane, but had to use one of the planes that he had restored to a functional state. He gets paid for doing articles, and the fee must have covered whatever his cannibalized plane might be worth.

The point of his article is that don't let an idle plane that you rarely touch sit there to collect dust. Some hoarders (check social media) have duplicate planes and many more planes than they can use, and this article might be more useful to them than to some of us who are actively making things.

Simon
Hmmm....when a plane arrives looking like this?

$15 Ebay....something didn't look quite right..
No

This was sticking out, too ( PBBlaster soaking that bolt..) 

Followed by this.   WAS supposed to be a Diamond Edge DE 6c....refund paid for not only a new base, but the handles as well....I did managed to save these two..
Rolleyes

That Gutta Percha tote came off in about 8 pieces....Front knob became a pattern for a new one, since I still had the lathe, back then.  Frog and the bolts were also rehabbed, and re-used on the Stanley #6c base I bought....
Cool

So....what would you have done...photos looked good when I bought it....turned out there was an old crack on one side....USPS finished the crack...
Upset
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(03-29-2020, 11:42 AM)bandit571 Wrote: So....what would you have done...photos looked good when I bought it....turned out there was an old crack on one side....USPS finished the crack...
Upset

I'd have requested a full refund, and if the seller paid for return shipping, returned it. If he or she refused, claim the money back from Paypal or credit card or the auction site (eBay, etc.), whichever applies. My labor would be better spent on REAL woodworking than trying to resuscitate a DOA handplane lookalike.

Did you find out if that was an innocent mistake (wrong item delivered) or a misrepresentation on the part of the seller?

Simon
Guess I didn't do too bad, when I rehabbed it back up...
Confused

New base paid for by the refund...new handles...seemed to do the job...
Cool

Rust I was expecting.   It did hide that crack from both the seller and me....seller didn't want it back.   USPS did most of the damage, but the packing inside the box left a LOT to be desired....rolled up newspaper.  Salvaged what I could, replaced what I couldn't...sharpened up, and put to work...wound up selling later...for a nice profit
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(03-27-2020, 05:48 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Well, this article is interesting...urging us to parts out vintage planes...

Not that I'm in the business any more of sticking up for PW...but that article is from a 2011 print edition. :-) 

Megan