Plywood Desk In Progress
An excellent project for both of you, Johnny! I really enjoyed following along...
Yes

Well done!
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
(11-26-2019, 03:59 AM)Big Dave Wrote: An excellent project for both of you, Johnny! I really enjoyed following along...
Yes

Well done!

Here Here!

Building a fantastic set of Father - Son memories.  

Thanks for sharing!
I enjoyed following this thread. It has a little bit of everything. Working with your son is precious. Informing readers of the quality issues with second rate ply is instructional. And, in the end, you have a functional desk.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Good thread, well done.
And as others have stated, a father/son project to
be treasured forever by both of you.

Cool
Cool
Cool
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
I love it when you can take a young person and do something like this with them. It’s a great life lesson for him to learn that we need to use things like math, budgeting and how to calculate things. It’s also teaching him how to work and build something for himself that he’ll have pride in and he’ll never forget the father/son time. Good job Dad!

Jeff
It's time for the patriots to stand up!
Great shop time with your son! Quick, Easy
Rolleyes , good looking desk too boot!

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

Impressive thread.  Learning to budget was as important as the woodworking, and I admire the way you let your son make the choice on wheels to reinforce the lesson.  You might be surprised when the lesson sneaks back up on you.  In a good way.  

See pm
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
So this has been finished up for a little while now, but for completion's sake, I'll stick up a few more pictures of the finished product.

Two coats of primer and a little bit of filler to smooth out some minor dings and depressions.
[Image: vindesk75.JPG]

Two coats of Rustoleum black enamel. This stuff dries pretty well in the cold, and is fairly tough, though not necessarily very hard even when fully cured. Will require a writing pad on the top of the desk, and had I really thought about it, I probably would have laminated the top instead of painting it. But it is very easy to touch up and should hold up to middle-school level abuse reasonably well.
[Image: vindesk77.JPG]

Drawers slide smooth under load, and don't droop even when pulled out all the way to the last two inches of travel.
[Image: vindesk80.JPG]

Plenty of room to sort Pokemon cards, do homework, read about Pokemon on the internet, store Pokemon, and sit and think about Pokemon:
[Image: vindesk82.JPG]

And really ties the room together (with Pokemon):
[Image: vindesk83.JPG]

[Image: vindesk85.JPG]
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
You guys built a lot more than a desk there.

Cool
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(01-17-2020, 08:30 PM)MarkSingleton Wrote: You guys built a lot more than a desk there.

Cool

This.
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."