Did I really need all those tools, or
Question 
did I use them because I had them?

Years ago, I made a cover for the kitchen trash can with a swing out door at the top. The door was doweled to locate in place at the open end of a counter and a slide bolt to keep it in place. All so the dog could not access the trash.

That 'temporary' design lasted 8 years until the use wore the pivot and got sloppy. Decided to change to a swing down door, using the old parts. Needed to make a filler strip and modify the door section(cut a wide rabbet) for on hand hinges and a different handle.

The tools I used:

Table saw
Band saw
Cordless drill w/ drill bits and screwdriver bit
Hand chisels(clean for filler strip)
Air compressor
Pin nailer(to avoid clamping time)
Hand grinder(level hinge mounting screw tips that were too long due to rabbet)
Hand planer(to fine tune the too wide top)
Belt sander(to prep for primer/paint)
ROS(see above)

Took 40 minutes. Downstairs shop. Upstairs kitchen and garage(where grinder/hand planer are). Four trips up and down stairs, two to garage.

I figure the tools I used(purchase prices) are about $1K. Probably could have hired it done for $250.
Crazy

However, I bought nothing since I had every tool/material/hardware on hand.
Big Grin
the time to stop buying tools is when they've taken so much room up in the shop that you have no room left to use any of them.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(11-20-2019, 05:32 PM)meackerman Wrote: the time to stop buying tools is when they've taken so much room up in the shop that you have no room left to use any of them.

Personally, I consider an extension on the Shop just another tool - kinda like a workbench.

Laugh
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
You used them, therefore you needed them.

Could you have done it with a chisel, saw, and plane, yeah, but you didn't. You did it the way you wanted to.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

So for the last 8 years you haven't used any of them again? Someone will eventually sell them for some value. Do you enjoy having and using the tools? How did your work compare to what someone you hired might have done. Personally I think I can do better work than I can afford to hire, it might sound snobish, but I am cheap and work for myself for pretty cheap. I don't mind spending way to much time to do something that I will get some self pride in.
You just saved 250 bucks- what are you upset about again?

Half full/ half empty.
(11-20-2019, 11:04 PM)daddo Wrote: You just saved 250 bucks- what are you upset about again?  

Half full/ half empty.

Laugh

I guess my work is ok, people used to pay me for things like that.
You need what you need to practice the hobby the way you want to practice it.
I had to build a second shop to hold all my stuff!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(11-21-2019, 06:23 AM)Tony Z Wrote: I had to build a second shop to hold all my stuff!

Did you have to buy any additional tools to build the second shop?

Big Grin
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.