Chuck for woodsmith
Long story short, I received a Shopsmith Model 500 and intend to use it has a lath only. What's the best overall chuck for this? I'm new to turning.
(11-21-2019, 10:35 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: Long story short, I received a Shopsmith Model 500 and intend to use it has a lath only. What's the best overall chuck for this? I'm new to turning.

Any chuck will work all you need is the adapter that goes on the end of the headstock to get it to work.  Since I know nothing about SM I can not tell you the threads stuff and I know others here will have the info buddy.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(11-21-2019, 10:35 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: Long story short, I received a Shopsmith Model 500 and intend to use it has a lath only. What's the best overall chuck for this? I'm new to turning.
Depends a lot on what you turn.   I like the Nova, but there are a lot of clones out there.  Get one that has dovetail jaws at about 2", and pin jaws at about 1".  Should do anything the lathe is capable of in the way of bowls.  Imagine they still have a 5/8 slick drive shaft for the adapter.  Live center for the tail would also be nice.  Make sure you get, as a minimum, a cup center for spindle work.  Nova is also a good choice there. 

Ennyhoo, you've been to Shopsmith.com, so check out Teknatool.com

Shoulda looked. Says 1/2" for MK VII
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.