French Rolling Pin
I'm thinking of turning one as a gift.  I'm trying to figure out how to hold it to finish the ends.  I can have one end in a chuck and use a steady so as to turn one end, but how can I hold the finished end to turn the end that was in the chuck?

I made 2 a couple years ago. I turned them between centers and bandsawed a quarter inch of each end and finished by hand.
(11-25-2019, 12:20 PM)gear jammer Wrote: I made 2 a couple years ago. I turned them between centers and bandsawed a quarter inch of each end and finished by hand.

It occurred to me after posting this that I have a power sanding pad for my drill.  I can get most of it done on the lathe, cut the ends off and just power sand the ends.

You can make one small but deep cup center on one end and a wide shallow cup on the other end and then switch them and can get all but 1/16 on the ends and just finish by hand.

I know Mike from PVW does this all the time just do not remember how.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I did a couple between centers and finished off the ends by hand after bandsawing them.
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
(11-25-2019, 09:58 AM)crokett™ Wrote: I'm thinking of turning one as a gift.  I'm trying to figure out how to hold it to finish the ends.  I can have one end in a chuck and use a steady so as to turn one end, but how can I hold the finished end to turn the end that was in the chuck?

I turn mine between centers. Turn the ends to 1/2 inch. do all the sanding on the main body before I turn the ends to around 1/8 inch . then bandsaw flush and sand