Back in the Day
Well said Jim.  

I ever tell you we think a lot alike?

Big Grin
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
A bit surprised that some of you are hoping to see more projects in this forum. Those who are very active in posting projects don't seem to come to this or, for that matter, any forums.

They are everywhere over at Lumberjocks. There're close to 150,000 projects shared. Youtube carries tons of projects too.

Simon
I quit posting a year ago because of the constant sniping and "know-it-all" attitude of a few people that ruined it for me.  I don't see it getting any better in the recent past.  It's one thing to have an opinion, it's another thing to maintain that there is only one way to do something and try to force others to believe it.  Life is too short to put up with a bully every time  someone makes a positive statement.  As a result I spend a lot more time in the shop doing things my way without having to argue that it's OK to do it that way.

This used to be a very open and fun place to exchange information but I fear that those days are gone.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
(12-02-2019, 07:29 PM)gMike Wrote: I quit posting a year ago because of the constant sniping and "know-it-all" attitude of a few people that ruined it for me.  I don't see it getting any better in the recent past.  It's one thing to have an opinion, it's another thing to maintain that there is only one way to do something and try to force others to believe it.  Life is too short to put up with a bully every time  someone makes a positive statement.  As a result I spend a lot more time in the shop doing things my way without having to argue that it's OK to do it that way.

This used to be a very open and fun place to exchange information but I fear that those days are gone.

It's been a hive-mind for years now.
mike
I ain't a Communist, necessarily, but I've been in the red all my life
It's life! Every day we interact we people we like, people we don't and some that are a royal PIA, always butting in, with an air/opinion thet they're always smarter/better than you.

What do you do? Ignore them! Don't let them under your skin, just move on to the true friends. You quit here? They win!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(12-04-2019, 05:45 AM)Tony Z Wrote: It's life!  Every day we interact we people we like, people we don't and some that are a royal PIA, always butting in, with an air/opinion thet they're always smarter/better than you.

What do you do?  Ignore them!  Don't let them under your skin, just move on to the true friends.  You quit here?  They win!

Tony gets it...as usual....
Wink
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(12-04-2019, 05:45 AM)Tony Z Wrote: It's life!  Every day we interact we people we like, people we don't and some that are a royal PIA, always butting in, with an air/opinion thet they're always smarter/better than you.

What do you do?  Ignore them!  Don't let them under your skin, just move on to the true friends.  You quit here?  They win!

Everybody comes to the table with their own ration of a**holery, god knows I've got mine; so I agree, when the levels of display of same exceed your plimsoll line (old navy guys will get this) you just don't engage and ignore.  They will get the message, or change their behavior.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Hmmmm....been reading through this thread....meh..

Been doing my build along threads for a while.   Happen to have my own way of doing things...IF someone likes them, fine....if not?  Shop is a hybrid shop, mix and match tools according to what I have in the shop....

IF someone comes round, saying one can only do a task with "Brand X" tools....and if you don't go out and buy them...one might not be a "woodworker"....which is pure BS......

However, if one has such tools, they can use them as they see fit.  Or,  saying only this or that type of tool, bench, or technique is the only way to go...have to ask how much of a commission they get for selling such things...

Just remember...not everyone has 2500sqft of space space, or a $25,000 shop budget....and should never be looked down at.  Sometimes, skill is more important than how much the tool costs...

been quite a few out there, that their view of life, from their tall Ivory Tower's balcony, is obstructed by looking down their nose. 

Think on that, if you will....

Just got home this morning, after having a Heart Cath done.....going to be a few weeks, before I am allowed into my shop....while that plug heals up...sometimes, there are more important things to worry about...than what tool to buy next...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I moved to another state in 2015 and spent a year without a functioning shop then a while fixing up the house I moved into say a year or so. When I came back the forum had changed, photobucket had broken the internet, and the majority of people especially the younger croud now primarily accesses the internet via mobile devices. This site is not the greatest on a mobile device and its a pain to upload photos to. I have to edit each and every one for size. Then when I did start posting some build stuff again I found there was little interaction anymore. And more of it was negative, not constructive just negative. So why work extra hard for nothing. I dont need a 15 page thread on Chris Schwartz not learning from that.

If we all want a thriving forum its incombent on all of us to post more quality content(me too) and to be mindful of what we say and how we say it. I see a lot of people sniping other people sideways in their own posts too. Either looking down on people with more basic tools or looking down on people who get high end tools but may not be skillful with them yet. We are all woodworkers.

I still think a forum is a better platform than Instagram for detailed conversations. Since most of us have no control over how this website functions lets focus on making it a place worth being.
(12-04-2019, 01:26 PM)mongo Wrote: I moved to another state in 2015 and spent a year without a functioning shop then a while fixing up the house I moved into say a year or so.  When I came back the forum had changed, photobucket had broken the internet, and the majority of people especially the younger croud now primarily accesses the internet via mobile devices.  This site is not the greatest on a mobile device and its a pain to upload photos to.  I have to edit each and every one for size.  Then when I did start posting some build stuff again I found there was little interaction anymore.  And more of it was negative, not constructive just negative.  So why work extra hard for nothing.  I dont need a 15 page thread on Chris Schwartz not learning from that.

If we all want a thriving forum its incombent on all of us to post more quality content(me too) and to be mindful of what we say and how we say it.  I see a lot of people sniping other people sideways in their own posts too.  Either looking down on people with more basic tools or looking down on people who get high end tools but may not be skillful with them yet.  We are all woodworkers.  

I still think a forum is a better platform than Instagram for detailed conversations. Since most of us have no control over how this website functions lets focus on making it a place worth being.

I wish there was a 'like button'. This was pretty much my experience as well.. and one of the reasons I haven't been so active.

Tony can say that this is 'letting them win' all he wants. The reality is, I have better things to do with my time than put up with people just to put up with them. This isn't real life, I don't HAVE to interact here.
mike
I ain't a Communist, necessarily, but I've been in the red all my life