Back in the Day
Nice post Mongo.

A forum is what one makes it into. If you post largely social chit chat, then it becomes FaceBook. If you want builds, or discussion about tools and joinery, then you need to support the threads with your commentary.

I have written on another forum, one that uses a “like button”, that I wished they were not around. Like buttons are a nice feature, but they are an invitation to laziness ... to go “like” but not comment.

Perhaps we should have a forum called Projects. “Woodworking” does not work here since it does not seem to encourage posting of projects or topics about building. It is just an extension of Hand- or Power Tools.

At the end of the day, forums become what members decide it will be, and WoodNet has been moving progressively away from the practice of woodworking.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
There is another button over there, that some never pushed.....the one that says...Thank You!.....
Cool

ps:  I use that button a lot....even more than the "like" button......I also used the laughing button..
Laugh ...as sometimes things will be funny.....lighten up,  Bro....

Now, I have to have my Grandson haul that little table up from the shop ( I am not allowed stairs, nor things over 5 pounds)  and place the table where I can varnish it, without bending over any.....Not allowed to drive, either.    Right now, I am trying to flush out all that dye they used......in me.  

Starting to sound like a bunch of grumpy old men, sitting talking about..."Back in MY day.."  remember to include the part about walking the mile or so uphill in the snow...
Winkgrin  Both ways, of course...
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(12-04-2019, 11:08 PM)bandit571 Wrote: There is another button over there, that some never pushed.....the one that says...Thank You!.....
Cool

ps:  I use that button a lot....even more than the "like" button......I also used the laughing button..
Laugh ...as sometimes things will be funny.....lighten up,  Bro....

Now, I have to have my Grandson haul that little table up from the shop ( I am not allowed stairs, nor things over 5 pounds)  and place the table where I can varnish it, without bending over any.....Not allowed to drive, either.    Right now, I am trying to flush out all that dye they used......in me.  

Starting to sound like a bunch of grumpy old men, sitting talking about..."Back in MY day.."  remember to include the part about walking the mile or so uphill in the snow...
Winkgrin  Both ways, of course...
Winkgrin

Well Steve....we are a bunch of grumpy old men! Hope you're feeling much better.

T.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Interesting. I had a conversation about this topic earlier today. We discussed the procession of the craft community from print magazines to rec.woodworking to the oldtools list to forums to Facebook/Instagram, Youtube, Blogs v websites, Reddit, Quora and so on. Staying relevant stressed out publishers, authors, libraries, etc. Adapt or disappear.
Gary Roberts
The Toolemera Press
Wilmington, NC USA
Toolemera.Com Website
Back when I joined the forum, I had no kids and almost no tools.  Now I've got five kids and practically all the tools I will ever need to build the things I want to build.  It was maybe 3-4 years ago when I realized that I hadn't bought a tool in a year.  I've also gotten to the point where most of my woodworking is the same thing over and over again, mainly wooden spoons and spatulas to sell at local craft markets.  (Those five kids gotta eat.)  Work is also allowing me less free time as my responsibilities there have increased.  Those are all good things, but it's left precious little time for WoodNet.

I still check in every week or two to see what's new.  It's always nice to see a tool repair/restoration thread, or an all-hand-tool build-along thread.  

The more I think about it, I don't think it's Facebook or even Instagram that has taken up most of the traffic from the woodworking forums.  It's YouTube.  If people are looking for how-to information, that's their first stop.  Back ten years ago, if you wanted to make a video and post it to the internet, you had to have made a pretty healthy investment in a good camera setup, and you needed a really good computer and a fast internet connection.  (Back when I joined WoodNet, I was still using a dial-up connection at home!)  These days, all you need is a smartphone and a tripod, and everybody already has a smartphone.  For myself, well, I don't have any more time to watch 25-minute how-to videos than I have to browse WoodNet, but the last time I was trying to lay out dovetails and couldn't remember how to use a pair of dividers to space the tails, I ended up finding a 3-minute video by Megan Fitzpatrick that explained it all.  So I don't blame people for turning to YouTube instead of to the forums for information on this stuff.  

I miss the old crowd, too.  I learned a lot.  Much of what I know about this stuff I credit to you folks.  

Oh, and as an ex-mod, I can assure you that more than one member got banned for bad behavior. 
Smirk
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(12-12-2019, 10:42 PM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: I miss the old crowd, too.  I learned a lot.  Much of what I know about this stuff I credit to you folks.  

Ditto to what Steve said... except the part about being an ex-mod...
Skip

I think part of the problem is people don't really read what posters are saying/asking. I have read many instances were people have responded without really reading what was asked and given advise that the OP can't follow (lack of skill. time or tools) as was stated in their original post. This is a big turn off and just turns people away.

I agree that a project forum would be helpful especially when a member is looking to build something and is looking for inspiration.

I have gained an incredible amount of knowledge but hesitate to post any projects because I fear they would not be adequate.