Entry hall table for a niece
This is a cross post from the Woodworking forum, where the first part of this thread is.

We are building a version of this hall table ...

[Image: Jes_-Entry-Table.jpg]

We left off last time with basic preparation of stock from rough sawn boards ..

[Image: Resaw18.jpg]

A word of introduction before continuing: while I am best known for hand tool work, I am a blended woodworker and have a pretty full compliment of power tools, which I use. It is horses for courses - power does the grunt work and hands do the details and joinery. So there are machines here as well as hand tools, and I like to believe they coexist well in my builds, as they should.

I began this session by turning the legs ...

[Image: 2legs.jpg]

[Image: 1legs.jpg]

The Jarrah for the legs turned out a few shades lighter than expected, and I made an extra piece to experiment with different dye mixes. A final decision shall be made once the case is completed.

The panels needed to sized, which involved measuring from the centre line of the book-matched panels. The quickest way to square this up was to mark a line (in blue tape), and plane to it ... much faster than using power saws, etc.

[Image: 3Panel.jpg]

[Image: 4Panel.jpg]

Once done, you can square up on a jointer ..

[Image: 5Panel.jpg]

... rip to width ...

[Image: 6Panel.jpg]

... and cross cut ...

[Image: 7Panel.jpg]

Here are the panels for the case (sides yet to be dimensioned for height) ...

[Image: 8Panel.jpg]

Packed away for the night ...

[Image: 9Panel.jpg]

When marking the dovetails, it pays to work precisely. Mark carefully ...

[Image: 10dovetail.jpg]
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
[Image: 11dovetail.jpg]

My favourite dovetail saw is usually the one I sharpened most recently. This is an original Independence Tools saw by Pete Taran (circa 1995) ..

[Image: 11adovetail.jpg]

Completed side panels ...

[Image: 14dovetail.jpg]

It begins to be a little more fun as I get to use one of the features I recently built into my new Moxon vise - the Microjig clamps (details of Moxon vise here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeToo...Moxon.html).

These are used to hold the tail board to transfer to the pin board ...

[Image: 15dovetail.jpg]

Here you see the transferred tails outline in blue tape (easier to see in the hard wood). On the left is a model of the mitred ends that will be part of this build ...

[Image: 16dovetail.jpg]

Saw the pins ...

[Image: 17dovetail.jpg]

Note that the end pins are not sawn on the outsides.

Now turn the board around, and strike a vertical line at the outer pin ...

[Image: 18dovetail.jpg]

Saw this on the diagonal only. Do both sides ...

[Image: 19dovetail.jpg]

Place the board flat on the bench and create a chisel wall for each pin (earlier, this would have been done for each tail) ...

[Image: 20dovetail.jpg]

The chisel wall will make it easier to create a coplanar baseline when removing the waste (by preventing the chisel moving back over the line). Do this on both sides of the board before proceeding.

Now you can fretsaw away the waste.

[Image: 21dovetail.jpg]

Try and get this to about 1mm above the baseline ...

[Image: 22dovetail.jpg]

Here is a video of the process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6O4rY_0zQs

To create the mitred ends, first mark ...

[Image: 23dovetail.jpg]

... and saw about 1mm from the line. This will later be flushed with a chisel for accuracy.

[Image: 24dovetail.jpg]

And so this is where we are up to at the end of the weekend ...

[Image: 25dovetail.jpg]

So will the sides fit ... or won't they .... mmmmm
Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Looking good derek.

The system you built up over the years for cutting joinery really seems to be efficient and well suited for your builds.

Andy
"Humble pie was delicious as an abstract motivational tool. But when you have to actually take a bite, it tastes terrible."
Dan Shaughnessy, boston globe on the Patriots loss in Superbowl XLII
Very nice build along Derek, however, as Phineas said to Ferb, "Ferb, I know what we are going to do today!" (Phineas and Ferb is an American cartoon, about two very inventivee brothers, that our youngest daughter absolutely loved, as did I). That task is to build a T-grooved clamp hold down system for my Moxon. Very elegant hold down system, and one I have not seen before (let the debate begin!).

Though an American holiday, Derek, Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Tony
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I really enjoy watching your builds, Derek!
Yes
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."