Cherry Cabinet Doors
I am planning some kitchen cabinets made with cherry wood.   I plan to make frame and panel doors with the panels being flat and not raised.  My question is if there are any reasons for not using cherry veneered plywood for the flat panels?  Will the cherry plywood have the same look (color) as the cherry wood I plan to use for the frames?  I plan to finish using a clear satin Arm-R-Seal.  I can make the panels out of hardwood but would like to save time.

Also, in a case like this is there any reason not to glue the plywood panel to the frame?  I know not to glue hardwood panels to the frame but don't see how plywood panels would be a problem.
You can observe a lot just by watching. YB
(11-26-2019, 01:23 PM)Woodchukker Wrote: I am planning some kitchen cabinets made with cherry wood.   I plan to make frame and panel doors with the panels being flat and not raised.  My question is if there are any reasons for not using cherry veneered plywood for the flat panels?  Will the cherry plywood have the same look (color) as the cherry wood I plan to use for the frames?  I plan to finish using a clear satin Arm-R-Seal.  I can make the panels out of hardwood but would like to save time.

Also, in a case like this is there any reason not to glue the plywood panel to the frame?  I know not to glue hardwood panels to the frame but don't see how plywood panels would be a problem.

It's highly unlikely the veneered plywood you buy will have the same color as your solid wood frames.  It might, but likely not, and whether or not the difference is acceptable only you can decide.  

You might consider veneered MDF rather than veneered plywood.  It is a lot flatter and the stuff I get is always made in the USA and the veneer is of better quality than on plywood.  Can't promise you the same, but that's what I've found.  

Yes, glue the plywood or MDF panels into the frames; the door will be very rigid.  

John
I agree it's unlikely you will get a match between the panels and the frame. Even if you did it might well be different in a couple of months. IME the veneer will change at a different pace (though eventually it seems to even out). I would still do it that way, and yes glue the panels in.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(11-26-2019, 02:49 PM)jteneyck Wrote: It's highly unlikely the veneered plywood you buy will have the same color as your solid wood frames.  It might, but likely not, and whether or not the difference is acceptable only you can decide.  

You might consider veneered MDF rather than veneered plywood.  It is a lot flatter and the stuff I get is always made in the USA and the veneer is of better quality than on plywood.  Can't promise you the same, but that's what I've found.  

Yes, glue the plywood or MDF panels into the frames; the door will be very rigid.  

John

I asked about the core of the plywood.  The 3/4 ply has what they call an HVH core.  They said it was rated higher than MDF core - but I could not get a clear explanation of exactly what HVH core is.  Do you know?  And the 3/8 ply is MDF core.
You can observe a lot just by watching. YB
Yes on using the MDF panels.
Yes on gluing them in. I only glued the bottom side.

Cherry darkens, it will all eventually match pretty well.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I used cabinet grade black cherry plywood for a couple of kitchen projects for my in laws wherein the panels are ply and the frames BC hardwood.
They look great after using shellac as a sealer and wipe on varnish as the finish.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(11-26-2019, 03:31 PM)Woodchukker Wrote: I asked about the core of the plywood.  The 3/4 ply has what they call an HVH core.  They said it was rated higher than MDF core - but I could not get a clear explanation of exactly what HVH core is.  Do you know?  And the 3/8 ply is MDF core.

Never heard that designation, but my guess is it means veneer core hardwood.  I wonder what they meant when they said it was rated higher than MDF.  What properties?  Each has advantages.  For non-structural panels. flat and stable is what I want and MDF wins in that regard.  

John
HVH. I'm not finding it. Something new? A brand?

Hardwood Veneer ...................?
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I made some cherry cabinets about 10 years ago. I used solid wood, just because I had a bunch of it. Anyways, I made my panels 1/2" thick with the back flush with the frame back. Reason is that I think 1/4" (or less) panels sound kind of cheap, I prefer the thicker.
(11-26-2019, 03:31 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Cherry darkens, it will all eventually match pretty well.

I wouldn't be so sure.  We purchased a cherry dresser about 10 years ago at which time all 6 drawers matched in lighter color.  Over time 5 drawers darkened a bit more than the 6th and so far it hasn't caught up.  It sure stands out.