Needing suggestions on fastening a top
I'm building a black walnut executive style desk and this is probably the heaviest piece Ive ever built.  How would you suggest fastening the top to the pedestals and allow for some movement?

Thanks,
Wayne
Salisbury, PA
(11-28-2019, 06:12 PM)Wayne G. Wrote: I'm building a black walnut executive style desk and this is probably the heaviest piece Ive ever built.  How would you suggest fastening the top to the pedestals and allow for some movement?

Thanks,
Wayne
Salisbury, PA

Either “L” shaped wood blocks screwed to the underside of the top and set into grooves in the pedestals, or “figure eight” fasteners. 

You simply should not plan on moving the desk assembled. Remove the top and move in three pieces.

Looking at it that way, the top does not need to be heavily secured.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
I like the figure "8" type fasteners, usually get them thru Woodworkers Hardware.

Ed
Either the figure 8 washers or Z clips will work fine (or the shop made version of z clips that Ralph mentioned).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I agree with Handi that the best way to move something like that would be in pieces. However, I think you should anticipate the worst case scenario that some brutes will come along some day and lift the whole thing by the edges of the top to move it. I would make a narrow frame around the inside edges of each pedestal securely glued and screwed (or doweled, or splined) in placed. Then screw through these into the top in numerous places sufficient to carry the load. Remember to run the screws through elongated holes. Also, remember that the screws can't be real long due to the relatively thin top. So, make up for the lack of "bite" by using more screws.

Having said all that, I don't really know the load ratings for Z clips and figure 8s. You can perhaps check that out and determine how many you need to carry the loads you have. They would be easier to install.
(11-28-2019, 06:12 PM)Wayne G. Wrote: I'm building a black walnut executive style desk and this is probably the heaviest piece Ive ever built.  How would you suggest fastening the top to the pedestals and allow for some movement?

Thanks,
Wayne
Salisbury, PA

I built two oak roll top desks.  They had pedestals. They were very heavy.  My top used a combination of the figure 8's and direct screwing into the bottom of the top.  I had stretchers between the pedestals in the front and the back that were laying on their face.  They were notched into the pedestals so the were the same height as the pedestals. They were 2" x .75" or so.  I screwed through them into the top.  Of course you'd want to make sure you didn't drill or screw through the top, so screw sizing is very important!

RP

When I built my desk and dressers, I screwed through along the back (the front overhung the front rail) and used "Z-clips" along the sides and front.  You want the screws in the back because you want that to stay in place.  In my experience the top will shrink first and because of the indoor environmental control will never expand back to the original depth therefore the z-clips should be tight against the front rail.  Never had problem with that approach.

HTH,
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
I generally use the "figure 8" clips, but in your case, I think Willyou makes a very good point.  How many people (guys) who needed to move a desk ever considered taking the top off before moving a desk?
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Another alternative that might be worth considering: Don't fasten the top down at all. Make a rectangular "frame" on the underside of the top where it sits on the pedestals. Size and position them so that they slide down into the top of the pedestals and hold them in position laterally. With this arrangement, no one will be able to pick up the whole desk at once and the desk top will be able to expand/contract as needed.
On a trestle dining table I cut 1/4" wide slots about 1/2" down in the top bearers and used buttons