Replacement windows?
A neighbor at the lake needs a couple of new windows. I have only done new construction type windows. 
The style where you leave the window frames in look easy enough. 
He talked to Home Depot and they are saying remove the old frames. 
Vinyl siding, aluminum wrapped exterior trim. How do you do it? Remove exterior trim or remove interior trim?  How do you remove the nail flange, assuming there is one?

Tia

Is there exterior trim around the window? If that is removed, you will be able to access the nail flange.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
The guy at HD was telling him all the work is done from inside the house and they need Stud to stud measurements. 

I agree- take off the exterior trim, cut the flange and the rest is easy. He was making it sound like the exterior trim was left in place. If no nail flange, I get it. When did nail flanges on double hung windows become standard? This place was built in the mid to 60’s from what I know

(12-01-2019, 08:45 AM)goaliedad Wrote: The guy at HD was telling him all the work is done from inside the house and they need Stud to stud measurements. 

I agree- take off the exterior trim, cut the flange and the rest is easy. He was making it sound like the exterior trim was left in place. If no nail flange, I get it. When did nail flanges on double hung windows become standard? This place was built in the mid to 60’s from what I know

I'm seeing two different windows mentioned here. 

So you know, I did two houses of "replacement" windows, similar to what you might buy from a replacement window installer, and one house of "new construction" windows.

The windows with nail flanges, and requiring "stud to stud measurements", are New Construction windows.
Those windows were done when I completely stripped the exterior siding.

"Replacement" windows, as Tom Silva is installing, fit inside the existing window frame, which remains in the opening, once the sashes and stops are removed.

Almost nothing is done from the outside, or to the outside, except removal of storm windows.

Hope that helps....
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
Sumpin doesn't make sense here. Without knowing exactly what type of windows are currently in the house, the guy at HD couldn't have recommend anything. Assuming they are wood framed, double hung windows, only the sashes and balance inserts/guides/stops need to come out. The frames, siding, trim etc stays.

Need to know more. The term "Replacement" means the old frames stay put.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay