Newer Hand Tools You'd Try, Cost no Object
A Wayne Anderson plane would do it for me.  I have most everything that I need but it's the "wants" that cost the money.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
(12-03-2019, 02:56 PM)Bruce Haugen Wrote: I’d like to take a shot at that lever cap, too.  I had hoped that a pic of the underside would be available; I’d like to see how the wood is joined to the metal

The image with the parts on display (TFWW) show the brass/bronze sheet as full coverage under the wood. The attachment is also a concern to me. Also I am not so sure I could trust my arthritic fingers to hold 2 pounds of metal without finger indents.

I have been searching for a shorter companion to my Heinz #57 for several years. The stretch from palm to fingertip is a tad far on the 7-inch Millers Falls.

BTW, my addition to the "New Tool List" should arrive in a few days. Trying out tools via mail can be so costly for me or Lee but I know of no other way to get my hands on the big Shooter plane.
(12-03-2019, 02:56 PM)Bruce Haugen Wrote: I’d like to take a shot at that lever cap, too.  I had hoped that a pic of the underside would be available; I’d like to see how the wood is joined to the metal

There is, on the website linked earlier; it's one of the pictures in the series available.  I pulled a copy off, here, for convenience, but it's on the website:

I don't see any visible attachment - screwheads or the like.  Maybe they glued it on using some suitably flexible glue, or maybe they used countersunk screws, sunk just far enough to hold but before the slot enters the face of the lever cap, and machined it all smooth.  Not sure of the best method.
If money was no object, I would like to have one of the engraved custom handmade brass/bronze planes I have seen here every once in a while.  I love the quiet whisper of the plane in contrast to the whine of the router.  Having a tool made especially for yourself is a luxury, but something you treasure.

It needn't have my name, it could have the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor among the scroll work on one side, and my Wings somewhere on the other... I would be one happy ol Marine.

Big Grin
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
The one I would like to have....would be a Stanley No. 55...with ALL of it's cutters..
Cool ..Not worried about the box...I can make one.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
To me there are a few considerations

1.  Does it work like advertised
2.  How much trial and error will it take to get it right
3.  Is it worth the price
4.  How much use will it get for the price

There are several things we need to help and improve and make things easier for us, but it has to be easy to use and priced right.

The joint maker seems to be really nice, but looking at it the metal indicators to show where it is at on the degree just to not go up to the marks and looks really flimsily but would love to have one.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
HandplanesandmoreWhat's your dream list? -

Just one (which some of you lucky ones may actually own):
A handplane Krenov himself made (and, even better, used)!
Simon

I have one of those. His faint maker's mark is at the very bottom of the plane’s toe.

Attached Files Image(s)

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Benjamin Franklin
(12-05-2019, 02:18 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: To me there are a few considerations

1.  Does it work like advertised
2.  How much trial and error will it take to get it right
3.  Is it worth the price
4.  How much use will it get for the price

There are several things we need to help and improve and make things easier for us, but it has to be easy to use and priced right.

The joint maker seems to be really nice, but looking at it the metal indicators to show where it is at on the degree just to not go up to the marks and looks really flimsily but would love to have one.

Have to agree with Arlin. And #4 is the most important. And it is very closely related to #3. I am afraid that none of the ones listed would see enough use to justify the cost for me. My philosity: is you do not need a 10 ton dump truck if all you want to do is haul a bucket of sand
You missed the point of the post...

If cost was no object.... 
Laugh

I am happy with what I have, but IF I could splurge a bit, I wouldn't get ridiculously bling about the tools, and gold plate them...
Just personalize a tool a bit, with presentation grade wood, engraving, and top quality.  A really nice plane, or perhaps a Great set of chisels.  

Push the post a notch.... If cost was no object, other than a full shop, how would you spend dream funds?
Classes... I'd take trips and classes.  Tour places like Lee Valley, talk to their pros, take workshops to improve my skills.
And... Buy a modest amount of the woods I have always wanted to make pieces from... Curly this, highly figured that, popcorn, bubble gum, all the wood I see in guitar bodies and exotic furniture. Presentation quality.  

Big Grin
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
A K12 in Boxwood.